Crank no start 1972 440

on my 440 previous idiot had #1 wire in the #1 spot if the cap had been used on a small block and the drive gear installed a couple teeth off so it would work...a lot of crap can happen in 50 years....start checking stuff at square one and don't take anything for granted especially if you didn't have it running before you took it apart....the timing chain could've skipped a couple teeth and that's why it was parked in the first place

Last edited:
on my 440 previous idiot had #1 wire in the #1 spot if the cap had been used on a small block and the drive gear installed a couple teeth off so it would work...a lot of crap can happen in 50 years....start checking stuff at square one and don't take anything for granted especially if you didn't have it running before you took it apart
I did not take it apart. I bought it that way.

here is a thought if the distributor is wore out it will do that . if you have an extra one or know someone who does pop a new one in . my road runner did that to me once i changed it out she has run fine .

here is a thought if the distributor is wore out it will do that . if you have an extra one or know someone who does pop a new one in . my road runner did that to me once i changed it out she has run fine .
All I want to do is get it to sputter. It only has 74,000 miles on it. There is no slop or play in the bearings. However, getting the distributor rebuilt is on my list.

next is check all the grounds on the engine and fire wall

All I want to do is get it to sputter. It only has 74,000 miles on it. There is no slop or play in the bearings. However, getting the distributor rebuilt is on my list.
So this means right now it's not showing ANY signs of wanting to fire, neither theiugh exhaust nor intake, just only cranking?

Just thinking out loud here, but can one verify timing with a timing light during cranking?

So this means right now it's not showing ANY signs of wanting to fire, neither theiugh exhaust nor intake, just only cranking?

Just thinking out loud here, but can one verify timing with a timing light during cranking?
I would have done it already but it’s cold and dark in Illinois and I work all day. Every weekend so far has been a wash as well.

I did not take it apart. I bought it that way.
Exactly. That’s why you cannot trust that the distributor is not 180 degrees off or that #7 is in the wrong place. Unless you had it running, you are relying on the last dummy that sold it because they couldn’t get it running. (Not calling you a dummy)

Good advice above. Do not rely on how the engine was set up when you got it as it was not in running condition. Find the compression stroke for the number one cylinder and go from there. If your timing is all wacked you will not get anything from the engine.

I will go and double check my own work and verify cylinder #1 as soon as I get a chance. It seems like the engine is in decent shape and all the evidence suggests it was running fine when disassembled.

It is my belief someone was going to do a cam swap and head work and never finished. There was a new Mopar Purple cam in the trunk, new cam bearings and the intake and exhaust manifolds were off/loose.

I have gotten to the point on my Imperial where I have gotten the engine back together where it is complete and ready to fire.

What has been done is I reinstalled the valley pan, intake manifold and carburetor. It has an NOS Holley choke, a rebuilt 4160, NOS spark plug wires and NOS distributor cap.

The engine will crank and crank but the car will not start. I have ensured the ECU is good, that the coil is good and the spark plugs are getting spark. I get nothing when I put gas down the carburetor.

It has been too inclement to work under the car so I have not been able to check for compression readings.
U GOT SPARK? U GOT THR TIMING RIGHT? ITS TIME TO GO BACK the basics

In your original comments you said you checked the ECU and it was good. You also said the plugs are firing. Putting gas in the carb. should at least make it kick unless there is no compression, or the timing is way off. The timing chain will do it too.

Putting gas in the carb. should at least make it kick unless there is no compression,
i suggested checking the oil for a fuel smell. if the rings are washed from too much fuel or if they're just plain stuck from sitting, no firing at all due to weak compression is what will happen.

I have gone through and checked everything making sure my spark plugs are in the right order.

The spark plugs in the car needed changing so I am doing that. Too much rust on the contact is an issue, I’m sure.

I have gone through and checked everything making sure my spark plugs are in the right order.

The spark plugs in the car needed changing so I am doing that. Too much rust on the contact is an issue, I’m sure.
if its been a long time since u have put wirs on . u may want to do that too check cap for carbon traces & check the rotor too for ware then u may want to check the distributor for play in the top bushing to to make sure on the distributorit should have NO PLAY AT ALL if the play is bad enough it may stop iyt from starting . now it dos have fire right? did u use a spark checker?

Back