Crazy question about Rally Wheel Trim Rings.

furyfever

Reaction score
Has anyone ever figured out how to use them on the rally steel wheel WITHOUT having them dig in to/damage the freshly painted rim. In my case, I paid the extra to get them powder coated and now I hate to rubber hammer them on. LOL Other than cutting off all teeth on backside/using some sort of adhesive (Velcro, maybe a thick silicone) I don’t have any other ideas. Must be willing to ruin trim ring too.

Last edited:
Once they go on, dont you leave them on? You don’t have to remove them to take the wheel off, correct? If you are worried about rust, maybe put a bit of synthetic grease or anti seize on the “fingers“ of the rings so when it scratches the paint there is some protection to the bare metal.

If the Trim Rings don't "Dig In" they Risk Flying off on a bump or a pothole. Just Sayin'

Yea, there's nothing you can do... The clips on the rings have to "dig in" to the surface.

The good thing is, since you are aligning with the valve stem, the same spots will be used every time, so the scratches will be in the same areas.

IF there is any rust, it will not be significant and will come off easily. Wheel steel will rust, but not from trim ring retainer scratches, at least where I am. Velcro or silicone is not strong enough to counteract centrifugal force and such that wheel trim rings have to deal with.

If scratches worry you, don't put the trim rings on.

CBODY67

I’ll have to show you guys with/without photos. The rims would have to be chromed…that obviously would be the only reason got leaving trim rings off. I was afraid this’d happen…LOL. They’d look so good/fresh Id hate to pound the trim rings on.

You aren't the first guy to redo a set of wheels. Yes, it sucks to scratch the surface of a redone wheel. A lot of solid comments above.

Back