Cruise control cable question

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
So I got my 68 Newport convertible 383 4 barrel about 7 months ago. Been a winter project getting it back into shape. There were some wires in the steering wiring harness that were old and broken and I also conveniently broke my turn signal cam. I bought the new harness and installed it. Successfully working so far as I can tell. I haven't been able to test the cruise control due to all the projects I've been doing. In the meantime I was having some hesitation when I was flooring the engine from a stop. I had a leak in my intake manifold gasket which I got replaced and they said your carb could use a rebuild. So I went ahead and paid for that too. Well I was still having hesitations in the motor. So more delays testing other things. when I brought it back for a second look they ended up swapping out my carter with an edelbrock 650 and electric choke they had. They advised I was missing some spring in the other one and they didn't charge me. (glad they could've found that out the first time). Well its running good now but I've been trying to get leaks fixed too so the day I got it back I started to take the valve covers off to put new gaskets on and paint the covers. So long story short when I got the air cleaner off I noticed the cruise control cable just sitting unattached under the air cleaner next to the carb. I have an original AC car that was taken apart for some reason from previous owner, I have the parts but isn't hooked up. So I'm in an internal debate to get pissed off at the shop for one more thing not done right, did they not hook it up or was it already not hooked up from the previous owner dismantling a few things and probably wasn't working anyways from the broken wires behind the steering wheel. So I was reading another thread about trouble hooking up a cruise control to an edelbrock. My goal is to get the cruise and eventually AC, and everything in general back to working condition. Anyone know if the following applies here?

I received a call and a fix from Edelbrock for mounting the cruise control cable. He said that he's worked for Eddie for 20 years and I'm the first person ever to call about this dilemma for a Chrysler. The fix is part number 8009. I looked it up and it's an accelerator cable adapter for a 1977 and up chevy. It looks like it should work. Eddie is going to send me one. It is also available for $4.99 at Jegs.

Edelbrock 8009: Throttle Cable Adapter Stud 1977-Up Chevy | JEGS

Can you show a picture of the cruise cable, the end that supposed to attach to the carb, the place on the ORIGINAL carb where the cable is supposed to attach? That way I can get a better picture in my head of what you're referring to.

I am very familiar with the 66 and earlier rod linkage style cruise hook ups (they connect from the control head on the inner fender to a pivot ball on the gas pedal rod as it comes out of the fire wall down by the transmission) - I am not so familiar with the cable style, but I would have assumed it was similar. So, with that being said, I need to see pictures. As long as it's mounted properly to the intake manifold and is under the correct tension when connected to the carb accelerator lever and the control head functions properly, then it should be fine.

All of this should be well documented in the Accessories section of your factory service manual. If you don't have one, I respectfully suggest you download one. Best thing I ever did when messing around with my cars!!

Your system is vacuum controlled - you need to double check that the vacuum hoses are all in good order too, or that will have a negative effect on how your car runs. There will be a diaphragm in your cruise control servo too - if that's toast it won't work and may be the reason it was possibly never connected when your mechanic was working on your car.

I do have a fsm. Just wouldn't be applicable I would imagine to connecting it to an after market carb. Here is a screenshot.

Screenshot_20190416-135530_Video Player.jpg

Does the throttle cable not connect to the carb on the driver's side? You're showing me a pic of the passenger side. I would have thought that ALL the gas pedal and cruise connections would have come to the driver's side connection, no? Perhaps I'm missing something.

What about the cruise cable? What about the original carb connection points. I need to see those to get an idea on how it was originally connected.

For sure the FSM would be applicable in that it would show you how it was originally connected, and then you would have a better idea on how/what to fab the connection to the new carb.

That is just where it was sitting when I took off the air cleaner. Yes, the module is on the driver side and wraps around to the back of the carb along the firewall. Not sure if this pic is more helpful or not. This is with my valve covers off.

20190414_211107.jpg

Unless I am entirely mistaken, (others with 68 and up factory cruise please chime in here), that cable should attach where the throttle cable and trans kick down linkages attach to the carb - on the driver's side of the carb. The mechanics probably put it on the other side to lessen the risk of it getting tangled up in the linkage as it sat loose.

Is there not a pic in the FSM detailing how it hooks up?

Please, show me a pic of where the throttle cable and trans kick down linkages attach to the carb. It looks like the cruise cable has a loop end on it, and that end may simply slip over the same point on the carb that the throttle cable attaches to.

All that cruise cable ever does is to pull to accellerate, and release to deccellerate, just like your foot would. As long as it's adjusted properly with the right amount of slack as per the FSM, and the system is in working order, it should work fine. It doesn't care what kind of carb it attaches to.

If the Chevy stud shown is indeed long enough for all linkage and cables including the cruise control cable to attach to the stud then a washer and the retaining pin, then you're good to go.

As I said, it has nothing to do with the passenger side of the carb. All cables will attach to the same point.

Sounds like that part is the fix you need. Still haven't seen a picture of the driver's side of your new carb nor of the original. Compare the two - I bet your original has a longer stud where everything slips on before the washer and retaining pin.

I will have to follow up with a closer of the new one. (I'm at work lol). These are just the pics I had. Mainly just wanted input on that attachment since that other thread is pretty old. Not sure I even have a close up of the old carb without the air filter on.

Did they not keep the old one when they swapped it out? If not, go and get it from them and stash it. Don't let it go in the garbage or out to the core return. Keep it. It's original to your car.

I called the shop. I had paid for a rebuild of the original carburator. When I brought it back he swapped the edelbrock for free. He said he was in the hole $100 for the value of the edelbrock he put on and said he wants $100 for the original back. Getting annoyed by this guy who came highly recommended by the facebook cruisers page for my city. But he'll keep it on the shelf for me in the meantime.

You have the same C/C I do and I have an Edelbrock carb , you need the 1481 Edelbrock Chrysler-Plymouth adapter . I hope these pictures help there all I had on my phone
51D981E8-847A-4272-A20F-67F76F8912A8.jpeg
02300C7C-DC78-4513-B369-C92ACBDBE116.jpeg
071EF825-E2AC-4F9F-A7F0-53727CEEE137.jpeg
D18662BD-1349-48E6-B5F4-294600AD9FB1.jpeg
5ACBD5F7-6FEB-4F7B-A043-CC15BF4D0E64.jpeg
0BE67159-AC6C-42FE-BF05-880FF504FE39.jpeg
B8C3C9AF-6C6E-4585-A7BD-8DEC4492A8A5.jpeg

Here’s a couple of pictures from my FSM . My car is a 69 fury but the C/C in your pics look like mine . I’m home from work now so if you need more specific pics I can take them for you.
1A356D60-C005-40FC-9572-B8CCA83B2F36.jpeg
A2C7E7EA-36AD-4A29-A5DC-51D213A97737.jpeg

I just want to add that you need the factory Chrysler C/C linkage ( I don’t know the proper name of it) . It is mounted on a roll pin to the adapter the same place as is was on the original linkage . Without this piece you will cause the cruise cable to bend and possibly kink between the cable mount and carb linkage every time you hit your gas pedal . Your cruise will not work properly without it .
0A6B8A0C-9B48-4E7B-916B-ACAE0FF16753.jpeg
50E63418-58B0-4ECD-A129-8EA1A4EAFC2B.jpeg
E2487106-4222-4286-9415-960C4DD19D4F.jpeg
00E72D3B-F205-48C7-9C92-E1BEEC5E83E2.jpeg
8DE39054-716E-4215-8784-BE6CAC142A77.jpeg
697106C2-19F9-4A5D-B361-AABF41B43AB9.jpeg

Very excellent diagram and pics. Super appreciated !!! I'll order that attachment this weekend and hopefully have it setup in the next couple weeks. Seems simple enough, just gotta get in there and do it.

It’s not a bad setup if you have an original to look at as a reference , if you don’t have that one piece of original linkage I will bet it’s still on your old carb.

Last edited:
If you can’t locate your original linkage just check out auto wreckers in your area for a carbureted mopars with cruise and start grabbing parts.

I just want to add that you need the factory Chrysler C/C linkage ( I don’t know the proper name of it) . It is mounted on a roll pin to the adapter the same place as is was on the original linkage . Without this piece you will cause the cruise cable to bend and possibly kink between the cable mount and carb linkage every time you hit your gas pedal . Your cruise will not work properly without it . View attachment 278955 View attachment 278956 View attachment 278957 View attachment 278958 View attachment 278959 View attachment 278960
That little doodad is called a "lost motion link".

Back