Cruise Control limits

prd2bdf

Reaction score
When I drove Loretta (1973 Newport w/Navajo package) to DC and back a few weeks ago. I couldn’t set the cruise at any speed above 70. Is this something they did back in the days or is something wrong with the system?

Not enough vacuum to the cruise servo. I have noticed that if I set cruise under some power throttle it will not set, if I go just above the speed I want, let of on throttle and then hit the cruise set button right away it will grab.

In the older "modern" cruise control systems, no way to program any speed parameters into them. The only thing is that the minimum "Set" speed is near 30mph, which might be when the governor weights in the mechanism get swung-out far enough to work.

One time, after I bought my '70 Monaco Brougham 383 4bbl car (in 1975), I had the cruise set to about 60mph. I had gotten off the freeway and onto surface streets. I came to a stop sign, stopped and proceeded. I had put the trans in "1" and when I got to 30mph on normal acceleration, I punched "Resume". The throttle went nearly to the floor as the cruise sought to get the car back up to 60mph as quickly as possible. I shifted into "D" quickly! End of test.

I'm sure there is a limit to the travel of the cruise throttle cable and related diaphram and such, but that would be the limiting factors in how fast the cruise control might set. Might check the FSM for possible places to look for the problem?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

You could try next time you want to set it above 70 to take your foot of the gas and see if the speed control "catches" you and where. Either outcome will tell you more.

Back