Daily driving a 68 New Yorker?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wondering what you have for daily drivers. Right now I'm in a Diplomat but there's a fella close by who wants to trade his 68 New Yorker for it. (He loves M bodies, apparently). I used to daily drive a 63 Imperial and it was quite comfy, just expensive. What do you think I can expect from a New Yorker? About the same experience?

The Chrysler's wheelbase is a little bit shorter than the Imperial's wheelbase, plus it's a more like 219" long rather than the Imperial's longer length. Should be the same steering gear ratio, with the 2.76 (std. ratio) rear axle, the larger tires on the Imperial and the 2.93 will make things about equal, rpm-wise. Might be a little more awareness of the road surface in the C-body, as it's not a body/frame car.

Depending upon the condition of the NY, could be a decent trade.

CBODY67

Some parts such as lower ball joints are harder to find than the Diplomat, not sure what the brakes are on the New Yorker, if they are drums it’s not as good as Diplomat or if it’s Budd disc brakes it’s harder to find parts, if it’s has floating caliper front discs you’re set. Other than typical old car issues, I think you’d be fine. The Yorker is way more car than a Diplomat, better ride, more engine, more interior room, I had a 86 5th Avenue and preferred my GM b body to it mainly for the leg room, I have a 72 Newport now and while I still enjoy my 77 Olds 88, the Newport rides better and is roomier. I was recently working on a 68 Newport and after driving it the only improvement I thought would be necessary is a front disc swap.

The normal NY had 11" power drums, f/r. Front PDB was optional and had factory 15" wheels and particular wheel covers. I don't think the floating caliper PDB started until the Fuselage years. BUT, always pretty easy to retrofit, as I understand it.

CBODY67

That's a pretty good trade on paper. I'd be worried the NY'er was hiding something.

But you sure can't drive one of these old-timey cars as actual daily transportation!

IMG_20180711_150557.jpg

SU1HLTIwMTQwMTA2LTAzNDUwLmpwZw_zps8303b197.jpg

IMG_20180527_222720.jpg

When new and such, that '68 NY should have gotten about 16mpg on the road at 70mph, typically. Of course, that was when Ethyl-grade gas was about 97-100 Research Octane Level, which would now be about 93 "Posted Pump Octane" "ethanol-free" (where available) fuel. And THAT can be pretty much what a typical Suburban would get without all of the fancy electronics and such. A former work associate bought a new '85 Chevy Suburban. 350 V-8. He sent it out and got headers, dual exhausts, the carb "tweaked" and the distributor "curved". Another work associate took it to Nevada on a weekend vacation. Reports were that it averaged about 16mpg for the trip, even with all of that work done to it. We also sold huge amounts of 454 C30 duallys that didn't break 10mpg on the road, cruising (4.10 rear axle ratio).

So, consider the '68 NY as getting "SUV grade" fuel economy . . . and there's bunches of them with their large fuel tanks!

Typically, IF the NY is in "typical" condition, it would be a good trade. BUT if it's rusty and "needs everything", even that weak-power Diplomat might be best to keep.

CBODY67

I'm prepared to pay for the gas. Having that 63 Imp as a daily really opened my eyes to the scarcity of readily available parts, so being that the NYer is newer, and there were more produced, as well as more compatible parts from other models, I think I'll be fine. Thanks for all the helpful information. I still have to measure my garage. I know it'll fit, but just want to make sure I have enough room in front and back of it to walk around

Compared to my '67 Imp LeBaron, two things about the '67 New Yorker I picked up last summer have surprised me. The minor size/weight difference has mattered more than I thought it would in terms of handling, , and finding parts has been significantly easier than I thought it would, especially when it comes to switches, etc. More reproduction items seem to be available.

Compared to my '79 Dip Wagon, the '67 New Yorker is definitely larger/heavier, but by a much smaller margin than I thought it would be. I think if you make that trade, the handling difference will not be as significant as what you might be expecting.

Good luck with the swap.

Compared to my '67 Imp LeBaron, two things about the '67 New Yorker I picked up last summer have surprised me. The minor size/weight difference has mattered more than I thought it would in terms of handling, , and finding parts has been significantly easier than I thought it would, especially when it comes to switches, etc. More reproduction items seem to be available.

Compared to my '79 Dip Wagon, the '67 New Yorker is definitely larger/heavier, but by a much smaller margin than I thought it would be. I think if you make that trade, the handling difference will not be as significant as what you might be expecting.

Good luck with the swap.

Hey, thanks! That makes a ton of sense, actually. I know there is a small but noticeable difference in length, weight, and overall drivability between Imps and C bodies, but coming from someone who's already been there done that, it makes me more confident in this potential trade. I did some calculations on the dimensional differences between my Dippy and the NYer, and while they are hardly comparable, I don't expect it to be an issue. Really, I'm just sick of owning slants. I like the fuel economy and reliability, but there's no fun in that!

I love to DD my 67 New Yorker. Just the only thing is when my job drives me to work on dirt roads or have to drive her in the rain. But i drive it whenever i can! Just sittin in traffic is its only downfall. So i have to take longer rides home where i can avoid traffic. I want to add a pusher fan in front of my radiator and she will be golden!

I love to DD my 67 New Yorker. Just the only thing is when my job drives me to work on dirt roads or have to drive her in the rain. But i drive it whenever i can! Just sittin in traffic is its only downfall. So i have to take longer rides home where i can avoid traffic. I want to add a pusher fan in front of my radiator and she will be golden!

If you need to add a fan, you have a cooling system problem.

As a general rule on the factory a/c cars (which is all we generally saw in TX) is that if the cooling system is in good condition, with a good radiator cap and fan clutch, no overheat issues when it was 100+ degrees outside in July (or similar). But then we didn't usually sit in stopped traffic for very long in the smaller town we lived in. Generally fewer hot weather issues with a Chrysler cooling system (the factory a/c models, as mentioned) than with similar GMs. Cooling performance of the factory a/c was still good until over 1lb R-12 had leaked out over the winter, which meant everything on those cars was designed "over-capacity", to me. Again, for the factory a/c cars. No experience with the non-factory a/c cars as there just weren't any around down here, that we knew of.

The ONE time I decided to "upgrade" to a Flex-A-Lite stainless steel flex fan, it produced "fan noise" after about 55mph. BUT, after about 70 miles on the freeway in the middle of July, I could stop car in front of the house, raise the hood, and calmly take the air cleaner off and not have to even think about it being hot, because it was only about 85 degrees F. Quite different from "normal" when it would have been "engine temp" and had to be handled quickly. Other than that benefit, I went back to the factory clutch fan as I didn't like the "airliner getting ready for takeoff" sound inside the car on the freeway.

CBODY67

Hey, thanks! That makes a ton of sense, actually. I know there is a small but noticeable difference in length, weight, and overall drivability between Imps and C bodies, but coming from someone who's already been there done that, it makes me more confident in this potential trade. I did some calculations on the dimensional differences between my Dippy and the NYer, and while they are hardly comparable, I don't expect it to be an issue. Really, I'm just sick of owning slants. I like the fuel economy and reliability, but there's no fun in that![/QUOTE

Difference between the C-bodies and Imps are in weight, I was surprised by how much lighter it feels...... keep us posted, and if you go for it, good luck with the '68 New Yorker. Let us know if it has disc brakes or not.........

I enjoyed driving my first 68 NYer as DD in the 90's, but with the crazy drivers now and the fact that they have much better bakes I'm always cautious to leave lots of room due to drum brakes. Still a wonderful ride. The kids and I put probably close 500 on it in the last 3 days.
:lol:

My car is a non A/C car. So i have the small radiator problems. Hard to find a fan shroud for them. And now i updated to the champion 4row rad and i cant fit a fan shroud now. But i think at a pusher fan at idle will cure that issue! Or try to fab up a custom shroud

Russell are you from a major city? At least if somebody love taps you which is prone to happen he’ll do more damage to himself then you.

I don’t think you’ve told us - 4 Door hardtop? Sedan? 2 Door? Color?

Paint us a picture :D

That's a pretty good trade on paper. I'd be worried the NY'er was hiding something.

But you sure can't drive one of these old-timey cars as actual daily transportation!

View attachment 197884

View attachment 197885

View attachment 197886

What's wrong with driving them every day? I've only ever owned ONE vehicle with fuel injection, a 96 S10. Other than that, I've never driven anything newer than 1980. First car was a 74 Dart, then a 75 Valiant, 63 Imperial, now an 80 Diplomat. I will say that the Imperial was the most expensive, but definitely not the least reliable. I had most of my troubles with the Dart and Valiant, as I was a teenage driver then. I don't think I'll ever buy new

Russell are you from a major city? At least if somebody love taps you which is prone to happen he’ll do more damage to himself then you.

I don’t think you’ve told us - 4 Door hardtop? Sedan? 2 Door? Color?

Paint us a picture :D

I don't live in major city but I drive close to Pittsburgh every day and night. Crazy drivers everywhere. This is my best attempt at painting a picture for you!

IMG-20121215-00063.jpg

IMG-20121215-00055.jpg

Back