Darrell Brown loved this car to death

That's the weight of a seasoned c-Body Driver. :D

I know, was just funnin' ya mate. I'm thinking your guess could be closer anyway.
I knew that :poke:
It's interesting though, whenever I read old (car) publications I end up having to work out stated measurements in order to know the figures as I was taught and understand them.

Looks like the guesses have petered out.

Total weight: 1,340 lbs.

Total cash: $80.41

We figured the extra scrap and transaxle were 300-400 lbs.

So the shell was probably 900-1000 lbs.

I was able to pick the back end up off of the pallets by myself so between rust and all the parts removed, there really wasn't much left to it.

In the end I told Joe to keep it all, his truck, his trailer, his time.

So now there is one less of the 2891 'verts that were built.

I know that I learned a lot more about these cars by taking one completely apart.

Hope you all enjoyed the saga.

John

@MYSINBIN
I thought you might like an update on Mr. Brown.
First of all, I often saw him on the roads with that car. I could tell it wasn't pristine, but I had no idea of it's true condition. I figured it could use new lower quarters, but that is about it. I don't think I ever saw it with the top up. I could tell he enjoyed driving it.
I'm pretty sure he had a New Yorker Fifth Avenue, also.
Sadly, Darrell passed away on November 16, 2021, though he worked until January of 2020. I'll include a link to his obituary. It says he did love his old Chryslers!

https://www.eveningtribune.com/obituaries/p0166526

So talk about resurrecting a thread from the dead, and for my first post, too!
I was perusing the forums, actually looking for paint combinations for some models I would like to build, when I happened upon your story.
I don't own any C bodies now, but I have owned a 68 Imperial Crown, a 70 Plymouth Fury III convertible (which was my first car,) and a 77 New Yorker Brougham.

Last edited:
This is the first time I've seen this thread, what a great story! The amount of rust that was revealed on that car was pretty amazing, it didn't look too bad as a 20 footer. Mr. Brown was a couple of years younger than my father in law is, and he still loves his Mopars too. Good stuff. Thanks MYSINBIN for the journey . . .

I agree! That was a fun thread.

And thank you @mopar preferred for posting the information about the previous owner. Always nice to connect a story to it's actual past.

Back