Dash pad Cracks

darth_linux

Reaction score
I know these aren’t that bad, but is there something I can do to prevent them from getting worse? I was thinking maybe CA glue? I recently started using Meguiar’s 57 to help preserve it.

IMG_3500.jpeg

IMG_3501.jpeg

IMG_3502.jpeg

IMG_3503.jpeg

I believe the issue is not only the upper layer of "finish vinyl", but also the foam under it dries out and shrinks, too. At this point in time, about the only thing you can do is get one of the carpet "dash protectors" and lay on top of the existing pad. I'm not sure where to get one, though.

Time to start shopping for a rebuilt dash pad, I suspect? Might get one for the package tray, too?

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

I believe the issue is not only the upper layer of "finish vinyl", but also the foam under it dries out and shrinks, too. At this point in time, about the only thing you can do is get one of the carpet "dash protectors" and lay on top of the existing pad. I'm not sure where to get one, though.

Time to start shopping for a rebuilt dash pad, I suspect? Might get one for the package tray, too?

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67
Is there someone who “redoes” these dash pads?? Honestly, it’s in good shape for 58 years old. I’m just gonna keep it hydrated and maybe glue those cracks to try and “seal” them.

I'll bet that could be fixed by someone that repairs car seats with small cuts.

The only thing is putting the Meguirs dressing on it means there is now silicone on the surface that may be hard to clean off.

Is there someone who “redoes” these dash pads?? Honestly, it’s in good shape for 58 years old. I’m just gonna keep it hydrated and maybe glue those cracks to try and “seal” them.
I called Just Dashes about this exact issue a few weeks ago. They told me they prefer to restore the dash pad currently in the car over installing a remanufactured one. They remove the vinyl and make the repairs, rebuild the existing foam underneath. They were very friendly and informative about their process. Check out the links below and give them a call.

Classic Car Interior Restoration | Just Dashes
https://www.youtube.com/@justdashes

- Travis

I'll bet that could be fixed by someone that repairs car seats with small cuts.

The only thing is putting the Meguirs dressing on it means there is now silicone on the surface that may be hard to clean off.
I didn’t see silicone listed on the product ingredients, but I’m not a chemist so maybe it’s there somewhere. Meguiars Product Ingredients | Meguiar's

I called Just Dashes about this exact issue a few weeks ago. They told me they prefer to restore the dash pad currently in the car over installing a remanufactured one. They remove the vinyl and make the repairs, rebuild the existing foam underneath. They were very friendly and informative about their process. Check out the links below and give them a call.

- Travis
Thanks for link. I’m guessing $1000 for a dash pad. I didn’t call because I’m not gonna have it done and didn’t want to waste their time. Did you get a quote?

I remove the entire dash pad from the car and recover it with "one" layer of the thinnest fiberglass "cloth" available. Then I cover that with the closest texture match vinyl I can find.
That's the best I got for you.
Good luck trying to preserve or reverse a cracked a dash pad place. I gave up many years ago.

I know you are looking for ideas on preserving or fixing your dash pad. However this is an easy and relatively inexpensive way to improve the look of your dash. Covercraft carpeted dash pads.

20240210_180007.jpg

20240210_180028.jpg

I dont know of anyone but I tell you what I did. I cut all the cracked old rotted foam and vinyl off the old dash and used eastwoods dash pad filler. Shot it with a texture paint, then shot it with an SEM interior color that I was going for. It came out alright, if you look closely you can see the slight alteration, but only for the detective eye and much better than the huge crack that was there before. My dissapointment is upon install and heat and cool, slight cracks formed again in the repair area. ho-hum! Still better looking than it was but not perfect.
!

IMG_0268[1].JPG

IMG_0272[1].JPG

I dont know of anyone but I tell you what I did. I cut all the cracked old rotted foam and vinyl off the old dash and used eastwoods dash pad filler. Shot it with a texture paint, then shot it with an SEM interior color that I was going for. It came out alright, if you look closely you can see the slight alteration, but only for the detective eye and much better than the huge crack that was there before. My dissapointment is upon install and heat and cool, slight cracks formed again in the repair area. ho-hum! Still better looking than it was but not perfect.
!

View attachment 661448

View attachment 661449

!

View attachment 661448

View attachment 661449
is it a plastic filler similar to bondo?

- Travis
And normally $1500

Back