Dash Removal

Reaction score
Has anyone removed their dash pad and had it restored?

My car is a 1965 Chrysler New Yorker. What is the way to remove the dash pad, anyone.? Has anyone made a video of this?

1970 Fury AC Dash Removal
(Your 1965 should not be that different. Other members can comment) @Badvert65 @65sporty
DO HAVE TO REMOVE WINDSHIELD

Remove the plastic cover from under the steering column.

Remove the 3 nuts holding the steering column to the dash lower edge and let the column rest on the driver's seat. The studs should be removed as well as the nuts, especially if you are going to leave the steering column on the seat. You may be able to remove the studs with double nutting. Otherwise, remove with a vise-grip and replace.

Remove the four screws in the windshield defroster vents, two vents each with a screw on each end. Probably not applicable because windshield has to come out on 65-68 slab side cars. Probably remove screws along inside of windshield instead.

Remove the door sill plates and side kick panels. Also, you do not need to remove the plastic A-pillar covers to remove dash assembly.

On the engine side of firewall, unplug all the cables from the bulkhead connector.

On the passenger side of firewall, remove 2 screws holding the bulkhead connector and fuse panel to the firewall.

Disconnect the speedometer cable by pushing the clips together and pulling out of the back of the speedometer.

Unplug wiring harness connectors at the sides under where the kick panels were. These are rear body harness, power seat, power windows, rear speakers, convertible top lift motor, etc. There are a bunch, but each has a different shaped connector so reassembly is easy.

Next, disconnect any control cables running between the heater and the dash heater control. Non-AC has two. AC only has vacuum hoses and wires; no cables.

For AC cars, at passenger side of dash panel under glove, remove 3 PH screws holding AC duct to bottom of dash panel.

Unplug the radio antenna.

Now, under the dash at each end you will find a bolt holding up each end of the dash assembly at the top of where the kick panels were. Loosen these bolts, but do not remove them. The bottom of the dash frame is slotted allowing you to lift it up and out.

At this point roll the dash towards the seat and lift. Move it out about 5 or 6 inches and check to see if anything is left connecting it to the car. When clear, lift it out.

If the instrument cluster is still in the dash, it has to be removed before you can detach dash pad from dash panel.

To detach the dash from the dash pad: there are 7 nuts that mount on studs from the bottom of the dash pad through holes at the top of the dash panel; 3/8 ss, swivel, 6 ext, 3 ext, ¼ R. Six of these nuts are on the right side and one is in a corner on the left side. Remove 5 PH screws, one at each end of the pad and 3 across the top of the instrument cluster mount. The pad and panel should separate.

Last edited:
Good Morning
The correct service manual is the best tool you will ever own. Many items that pertain to this task are unique to the particular year you are working on. For example, the speedo cable is screwed on in '65 not clipped.
The above is a good overview of what you are looking at to accomplish your task.

Good Luck
Omni

Has anyone removed their dash pad and had it restored?

My car is a 1965 Chrysler New Yorker. What is the way to remove the dash pad, anyone.? Has anyone made a video of this?
Borrowed from @cbarge
Yep. .65 to 68 slab cars remove windshield to remove dash.
Get dash on bench, flip it face down to access dashpad nuts.
People had removed the pad with dash still in car but it is very difficult.

Good Morning
The correct service manual is the best tool you will ever own. Many items that pertain to this task are unique to the particular year you are working on. For example, the speedo cable is screwed on in '65 not clipped.
The above is a good overview of what you are looking at to accomplish your task.

Good Luck
Omni
I'll check my service manual. Thanks

I meant the dash itself. Have not done anything. Have had no time.
Your original post says "dash pad"

My answer regarded removing the windshield to remove the dash as an assembly and then removing the dash pad from the dash shell once the dash assembly is on the bench.

If you find a better way, great!

There is a thread on here Dash Pad Replacement, look at post #8 by Welderguy shows a Utube video on how to get the dash pad out of a fuesy.
Mine came out pretty much the same.

Good luck

Back