Dash speaker size

NewportTM

Reaction score
I am sure this has been covered before, but I could not find anything. What is the size of the dash speaker for my 66 Newport? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I suggest that you buy an adapter that are available for around five or six bucks on the internet.
The adapter bolts to the existing 4 X 10 speaker mounts and you can mount dual (or a single) 3 -1/2" speaker(s) to the adapter.
3-1/2" speakers are cheap to buy and easy to find. I got out of the whole thing for 15 bucks.

I think it might have been 5x7. I was able to fit a 6x9 in the dash of my '65 300 which has the same dash as your '66 Newport.

68 Newport. I hope you can see these through the windshield parts car 003.jpgparts car 004.jpg.

parts car 003.jpg

parts car 004.jpg

I just replaced the front and rear speakers in my '68 Fury yesterday. The dash speaker appeared to be factory and was a 4x10. There was no rear speaker so I have nothing for reference. I bought the custom autosound 4x10 and 6x9. Both mounted up to the factory mounts using the included nuts/bolts. They are dual voice coil speakers so I will connect both left and right channels to each. Hope they sound good, won't know for a month or so while I wait to get my stereo back. Cost a bit more than the adapter Commando suggested; I'm hoping I get a better bass response than two 3.5" speakers.

Attached are pics of the dash and rear speakers in my Fury. The rear speaker is too large so I will need to make a custom cover of some sort to cover the magnet but it fits and doesn't impede the convertible top. The front dash speaker does make it tough to get the radio in/out but not impossible. Good luck with whatever you decide.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The rear speaker is too large so I will need to make a custom cover of some sort to cover the magnet but it fits and doesn't impede the convertible top.

Legendary reproduces the stock rear speaker cover (vinyl). At least they do for my '65; not sure about '68's

Attached are pics of the dash and rear speakers in my Fury. The rear speaker is too large so I will need to make a custom cover of some sort to cover the magnet but it fits and doesn't impede the convertible top. The front dash speaker does make it tough to get the radio in/out but not impossible. Good luck with whatever you decide.

The top is flexible, the glass is not..... I found out the hard way 24 years ago. Neither me or the top place considered the rear speaker....tempered glass all over

Legendary reproduces the stock rear speaker cover (vinyl). At least they do for my '65; not sure about '68's

Thanks, I'll check it out!

@polara71, that was probably a mistake you only make once! I lucked out with plenty of room between the speaker and rear window.

It was, you are correct!! The magnet was just too damn big on the back of that speaker. I left the top up for a week as they requested, first time I put it down............

Back