Dashboard Repair 69 Chrysler 300

MJFUR

Reaction score
69 Chrysler 300.

Who is/are the Guru's for dashboard repair and correct type & size fasteners? I have some broken tabs and missing screws/clip nuts.

In the last two photos, the lower part of the metal Dash has several square & rectangular cut outs. Am I missing a Cover or Part?

Thx

20221120_144031.jpg

20221120_141936.jpg

20221120_143815.jpg

20221120_143820.jpg

I couldn't tell you what screws are correct for all the holes but most times the seen screws are oval heads and seat nicely in beveled holes. Other times you will need flat pan heads. I have bought this trim set and it has proved very useful. Perhaps if you know exactly what your want you can find them cheaper.

As far as fixing the cracked ABS plastic mounts there are a bunch of options. Some people prefer it to be neater but I just want the strength because they are usually hidden. Flip the part over so you are looking at the back. Take some tape and form a backing and side and stick it on the FRONT of the part. In your example the chrome side. Doesnt have to be stylish, just be able to hold material while it dries. Now you have a little tape pool waiting to be filled with filler material of choice. You could file down some other part or lego block (both are ABS) into small chunks and dissolve with acetone into a slurry and fill up the pool. Or what i do most because it easy and quick is to add a piece window screen before the tape and thin fill the pool with baking soda and superglue alternatively till you get it filled. Could also use any number of epoxies. In all cases just fill in the broken hole too and make one solid piece and redrill the hole later. Also on the back (unseen part) overlap the material onto the plastic after you roughed it up with course sandpaper. In the end the front face is flat ready to be redrilled and the back is a strong but lumpy mess that you can file down flatter but still leave a layer. Also file edges to bring back the edge contour. Spray with black paint to make it look nicer. I will say that especially with pan heads if you overtighten many fixes may crack again. The baking soda thing is super hard and without the screen will crack if you over tighten a pan head.

There are other fix it threads you can search for.

I've used this stuff with reasonable success. Amazon product ASIN B00HVMQGQ2
IMHO, it's not as brittle as superglue/baking soda, although it does about the same thing. The Plastex kit also has some molding material that you can make a mold from a good part and incorporate it into the broken piece. Watch the video on the Amazon link for more info on that. I've also seen superglue used with Styrofoam or cotton balls to build up broken parts. There's also a commercial product that does the same as the Plastex. It's used to repair plastic fan shrouds and the like. Look for some you-tube videos on the subject.

I just remembered watching a video on Styrofoam and superglue. I found it interesting... I can think of a couple applications for this.

In the last two photos, the lower part of the metal Dash has several square & rectangular cut outs. Am I missing a Cover or Part?
Nope. Except for the drilled hole, all is as it should be.

That video is interesting in that it replaces a powder with a solid which is more controllable and less messy. Basically anything that sets off the SG curing and many things do. You can use spices (cinnamon during the holidays) as the bulking agent/catalyst. I'm going to have to think bigger in terms of what should be used with the sg. Now I'm thinking a blend of pwd abs and bs. Yes would like to increase the flexibility of sg/bs and maybe not have to use screen reinforcement

I'm wondering about that clear leftover container though. Usual that type of plastic doesn't let anything stick it.

As far as the trim that looks like it missing but not...If it bugs you could cover with a piece of bar stock aluminum or similar material. I had 2 areas just like this on either side of the column cover that were just begging for a filler. Used aluminum that a sanded to a dull brushed look. Works and is functional in that it reinforces the mounting holes in that area. Roughed up aluminum will take paint pretty well

Spotted this today. Combining graphite powder for strength with baking soda to make it cure faster. Pencil lead is a mix of clay and graphite, so I would think that graphite power (sold for locks etc.) would work as well.

These videos keep popping up now. LOL... Cigarette ash and super glue for this one.

I just remembered watching a video on Styrofoam and superglue. I found it interesting... I can think of a couple applications for this.

Spotted this today. Combining graphite powder for strength with baking soda to make it cure faster. Pencil lead is a mix of clay and graphite, so I would think that graphite power (sold for locks etc.) would work as well.

These videos keep popping up now. LOL... Cigarette ash and super glue for this one.

All three of these are very interesting. I knew about the baking soda trick, but I never thought about the other 2

Back