Data plate readers for Canadian Monacos

theconvertibleguy

Reaction score
Morning all

So had an intresting car land in my lap, but when reading the data plate they provided, the designations are really weird. The trim is for a Coronet. The model doesn't exist, WEird things like that. I'm chalking it up to be a Canadian Monaco model, and wondered if anyone had any data for helping to decode Canadian data plates?

For reference the car is a 66 Dodge Monaco Convertible.

Sure thing. The BDY doesn't match anything, but the 27 fits all convertibles. The trim matches the coronet black designation. I have no idea what SS1B means

123.jpg

Dodge
Premium
27 convert.
Auto
Looks like a standard tag to me.
Should have a 6 at the top right if it's built for canada
Do you have a source for that data? I ask as from that the car's got the wrong colour, and the wrong drive train. Which wouldn't surprise me (the amount of cars with the wrong drive train is crazy on the market)

Sure thing. The BDY doesn't match anything, but the 27 fits all convertibles. The trim matches the coronet black designation. I have no idea what SS1B means

View attachment 601963
Car was originally cream (paint code S). SS is upper and lower body colour, but a convertible is only one colour. A two tone car (hardtop, sedan, wagon) would have two different codes.

Here's the colour chart.

1966_dodge.jpg

Do you have a source for that data? I ask as from that the car's got the wrong colour, and the wrong drive train. Which wouldn't surprise me (the amount of cars with the wrong drive train is crazy on the market)
The tag is the source. 415 = 318 auto
DP27 - self explanatory.
Yes most cars were repainted, and many have different engines.
Try a search bar on " 66 tag decode"
I'm not sure on every option code off heart.

A pic of the serial # would be good.
And in the pass side door jamb does it say made in canada
Waiting for that at the moment. I assume it has to be a Canadian car as there wasn't an American convertible for Monaco's in 66, but will ask about that too.

As for the source I asked as the ones on tpcor were...well they didn't exist. :D

The decoders sort of get you there but a better understanding the tags and codes help.
The last digit of the option code (bold) is what is on the tag.

SO NUMBER - 126 - January 26, 1966 - 00340 - Shipping order number
DP - Monaco 500
27 - Convertible (technically 2 is two door, 7 is convertible)
P4X - Interior - Premium/Bucket/Black
SS1 - Pale Yellow Roof/Pale Yellow Body/ 291-Mono Tone Paint
B - 31B - Accent Stripe - Black

AB-41 - 318-2
C-5 - 395 - Automatic Transmission
H-1 - 451 - Power Brakes
K-8 - 458 - Power Windows
R-1 - 421 - AM Radio
Y-1 - 301 - Black Top
a-6 - 486 - Console
b-4 - 654 - Bucket Seats
d-6 - 426 - Rear Seat Speaker

Alan

Just to keep in mind (regardless of the tag and the confusion surrounding it), in Canada for 1966 the Monaco was just called Monaco, and did NOT have the suffix 500. The same car line in the USA was Monaco 500, and there were no USA convertibles for 1966 for the Monaco 500. There were lesser Monaco models (including convertibles) in the USA for 1966, but not in Canada - those were Polaras in Canada. Polaras in Canada for 1966 were equivalent to a mix the USA Polara and Monaco lines, and to mix it up further, Canada had a Monaco 880 which the USA did not.

ALL Monaco and Polara cars in Canada used the Plymouth dash with Dodge badging, and Plymouth interiors, with the Canadian Monaco using the Sport Fury interior.

It gets confusing for sure.

So found the VIN and looks like once again, the drivetrain doesn't match what is in there if the online decoders are correct.

DP27E09252717 - The model and body type come out right, but the E is a 361 or 318 depending on the translator. Could be an F, that some say is a 383, but others say is a 340. I have no idea what the 0 is. Maybe a badly transcripted six?

The decoders sort of get you there but a better understanding the tags and codes help.
The last digit of the option code (bold) is what is on the tag.

SO NUMBER - 126 - January 26, 1966 - 00340 - Shipping order number
DP - Monaco 500
27 - Convertible (technically 2 is two door, 7 is convertible)
P4X - Interior - Premium/Bucket/Black
SS1 - Pale Yellow Roof/Pale Yellow Body/ 291-Mono Tone Paint
B - 31B - Accent Stripe - Black

AB-41 - 318-2
C-5 - 395 - Automatic Transmission
H-1 - 451 - Power Brakes
K-8 - 458 - Power Windows
R-1 - 421 - AM Radio
Y-1 - 301 - Black Top
a-6 - 486 - Console
b-4 - 654 - Bucket Seats
d-6 - 426 - Rear Seat Speaker

Alan
That fits with everthing that's on the car other then the colour. It's jet black inside and out. It's weird that the colour is the lone outlier. Not even any hint of it on the door jams or anything like that.

Back