Data plate readers for Canadian Monacos

So found the VIN and looks like once again, the drivetrain doesn't match what is in there if the online decoders are correct.

DP27E09252717 - The model and body type come out right, but the E is a 361 or 318 depending on the translator. Could be an F, that some say is a 383, but others say is a 340. I have no idea what the 0 is. Maybe a badly transcripted six?
I would think the "0" is a "6" since a 0 would be 1970. I come up with 318 built in Windsor.

I would think the "0" is a "6" since a 0 would be 1970. I come up with 318 built in Windsor.
it's so strange. The guy's got it advertised as a 383 in multiple places, so why spin a yard? Frustrating as it's the best 60's car I've seen that isn't a bloody fortune.

VIN engine code is E = 318, G = 383, J = 440

IIRC, the only available engines for Canadian 66 Monaco were:

318 Polysphere (2 bbl, single exhaust)
383 (2 bbl, single exhaust)
383 HP (4 bbl, dual exhaust)
440 (4 bbl, single exhaust)
440 HP (4 bbl, dual exhaust)

Lesser Cs in Canada could get the slant 6.

I don't believe the 361 was available in Monaco or Polara for 66 in Canada, but I could be wrong.

Well a pic of the engine bay will tell if the distributor is in the front or the back.
Ugh what a melon I've been. Sorry for that.

1111.png

VIN engine code is E = 318, G = 383, J = 440

IIRC, the only available engines for Canadian 66 Monaco were:

318 Polysphere (2 bbl, single exhaust)
383 (2 bbl, single exhaust)
383 HP (4 bbl, dual exhaust)
440 (4 bbl, single exhaust)
440 HP (4 bbl, dual exhaust)

Lesser Cs in Canada could get the slant 6.

I don't believe the 361 was available in Monaco or Polara for 66 in Canada, but I could be wrong.
If wikipedia is to be beleived the four options were:

• 225 cu in (3.7 L) RG I6 (Canada)
  • 318 cu in (5.2 L) A V8 (Canada)
  • 383 cu in (6.3 L) B V8
  • 440 cu in (7.2 L) RB V8

This one does have dual pipes, but I sense that's not a hard modification if one desired?

That engine has been swapped in, simple as that. My Polara had a 383, now it has a 440. So it came as a 318 car, and neither the VIN or the seller is lying. Unless you need it to have the drivetrain the car came with, buy it if it checks all the boxes.

That engine has been swapped in, simple as that. My Polara had a 383, now it has a 440. So it came as a 318 car, and neither the VIN or the seller is lying. Unless you need it to have the drivetrain the car came with, buy it if it checks all the boxes.
Yup we're over the 318 car that got a bigblock swapped into it with a different color paint job.

Is it a nice car??

If wikipedia is to be beleived the four options were:

• 225 cu in (3.7 L) RG I6 (Canada)
  • 318 cu in (5.2 L) A V8 (Canada)
  • 383 cu in (6.3 L) B V8
  • 440 cu in (7.2 L) RB V8

This one does have dual pipes, but I sense that's not a hard modification if one desired?
Yes, dual exhaust is very easy to have installed, whether factory correct or not.

Yup we're over the 318 car that got a bigblock swapped into it with a different color paint job.

Is it a nice car??
I think so. I mean I'm a stickler for numbers matching, but I know that most don't care, so for those that don't, I'd recommend checking it out.

I posted it here for anyone interested.

I mean I'm a stickler for numbers matching, but I know that most don't care, so for those that don't, I'd recommend checking it out.
I sort of went down that road, at least putting factory bits on and doing a more purist build under the hood. It was fun, but I like a day two type car, and most of my stuff isn't worth going the factory stock route.

I think so. I mean I'm a stickler for numbers matching, but I know that most don't care, so for those that don't, I'd recommend checking it out.

#s matching wont really apply to a 66, afaik it wasnt until 68 that the vin #s began being stamped on the block n trans etc

Just to keep in mind (regardless of the tag and the confusion surrounding it), in Canada for 1966 the Monaco was just called Monaco, and did NOT have the suffix 500. The same car line in the USA was Monaco 500, and there were no USA convertibles for 1966 for the Monaco 500. There were lesser Monaco models (including convertibles) in the USA for 1966, but not in Canada - those were Polaras in Canada. Polaras in Canada for 1966 were equivalent to a mix the USA Polara and Monaco lines, and to mix it up further, Canada had a Monaco 880 which the USA did not.

ALL Monaco and Polara cars in Canada used the Plymouth dash with Dodge badging, and Plymouth interiors, with the Canadian Monaco using the Sport Fury interior.

It gets confusing for sure.
Canada had a Monaco 880 which the USA did not. - er, no. It was a Polara 880.
The US never had a Monaco vert of any stripe. They were always Polara/Polara 500.

A date code correct engine will make this car "numbers matching"

Alan
The definition of numbers matching is having the VIN stamped on the block and transmission. If there is no VIN stamped on the block, it cannot be numbers matching.

Back