Dealer air. What's it worth?

Joseph James

Reaction score
I have no interest in air conditioning in my Fury. It has dealer air. The Cool Aire under dash unit. The belt was not connected to the compressor when I bought the car. I have hand turned the compressor. The blower works. I plan on pulling the whole system.

I have no idea the value of it.

Just a suggestion (even though you didn't ask for it) Consider keeping it, and getting it working. I was tempted to yank my factory AC out, but then I started thinking about a few things...

1. NC Summers SUCK
2. Getting it operational usually isn't that expensive.
3. Once you start taking things off, I think you may have to change other pulleys, as another member recently discovered.
4. It's not costing you anything to be there, and what you can get for it is usually negligible from what I've seen in my short time here. On top of that, if you ever decide to go back, it'll cost even more than where you started.

I wanted to take mine out, just to have more room under the hood to access things that the compressor is in the way of (which, if you just recently replaced your distributor, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion.

My only worry is how the compressor pinches the radiator hose.
Mine does the same thing, and I have factory air.

Newport7.jpg

That belt looks like it may occasionally be hitting the heater hose. May want to adjust the hose bracket next the alternator a wee bit.
upload_2019-3-28_12-27-10.png

I've never had one cut through but I have had a few with some pretty deep grooves.

That belt looks like it may occasionally be hitting the heater hose. May want to adjust the hose bracket next the alternator a wee bit.
View attachment 273273
I've never had one cut through but I have had a few with some pretty deep grooves.
Yeah, that picture was actually from 2015 from the previous owner. I've already shifted everything around so there's no rubbing. (except the radiator hose being squished by the compressor, which seems inevitable.) Good eye though!

I have no interest in air conditioning in my Fury. It has dealer air. The Cool Aire under dash unit. The belt was not connected to the compressor when I bought the car. I have hand turned the compressor. The blower works. I plan on pulling the whole system.

I have no idea the value of it.
It's only worth whatever you feel it's worth. If it's complete, @live4theking has a friend looking for one. I offered mine for free because I don't care about it and wish it never was in my car as they cut a perfectly good console to fit it in the center of the dash. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I have a

With factory AC, the hoses should NEVER be touching anything, either the compressor or the fan belts... something is off. I've owned and serviced factory AC cars long enough to see that pic shows something isn't right.

What may be the case is that often replacement upper rad hoses (both Mopar and aftermarket) have extra length to them for variables in component layout, but which at the same time can actually make fitment a challenge - it looks to me like the upper rad hose in the pictures needs a very little bit trimmed off the end at the thermostat housing so it doesn't rise up so far and contact the compressor.

With the heater hoses, the alternator hose bracket is in the wrong place, and is placing the hoses over by the belts instead of routing them away. Check out this photo of Rexus' 65 - although his car uses a 22" rad, the upper hose (and placement) and the heater hose routing and brackets and its' placement
are identical to my 66 (of which I can't find a suitable pic). The alternator hose bracket bolts to the tensioning arm bracket upper bolt on the top of the alternator, and should be (if it's on there properly and not bent or lost and substituted with a different one) pulling the heater hoses back over the alternator, well away from belts.

Either the compressor bracket has bent (highly unlikely), or more likely the hose is too long... there should be enough space to put your finger between the upper hose and the compressor. If the hose is touching, it's too high coming off the thermostat housing.
EngineBay3.jpg

ALTERNATOR MOUNT.jpg
EngineBay1.jpg

Polara 500, The hose bracket on the left above the alternator pulley is install wrong. It should hold those hoses back and away from the belts. Turn it the other direction. You have a 1968 and older big block in that picture.

For those watching at home a 1969 and newer has a different bracket system.

Polara 500, The hose bracket on the left above the alternator pulley is install wrong. It should hold those hoses back and away from the belts. Turn it the other direction. You have a 1968 and older big block in that picture.

For those watching at home a 1969 and newer has a different bracket system.
That's my car, not Polara's, but I'll get it squared away!

Back