Detroit Muscle Technologies (DMT) 69 Polara Parts

Unfortunately, both items are different from the originals on my Imperial.

Interesting, I always thought the firewall was the same on both the C-Body and the Imperial.

These match my originals perfectly, the only question might be on the jute padding being two pieces, the one I had didn't appear to go under the brake pedal assembly and but the edges were not perfect and no residue?

Alan

I had similar dealings with DMT as well. I sent them all of my original flat rubber and foam body gaskets off my '65 300 Convertible. In turn, he sent me a free set of new gaskets for using mine as templates.

So those of you needing rubber and foam body gaskets for a '65/'66 Chrysler Newport or 300, they may not be listed on their website, but they have them.

I have a complex 7 pc. splash shield arrangement on my NYB.
DMT didnt have it but he sent me enough correct material and a bag full of the correct clips.
All he asked for was my old set after I got through using them as templates.

Interesting, I always thought the firewall was the same on both the C-Body and the Imperial.

These match my originals perfectly, the only question might be on the jute padding being two pieces, the one I had didn't appear to go under the brake pedal assembly and but the edges were not perfect and no residue?

Alan

The right inner pieces are maybe different because of the ATC, but the pieces around the steering column and above the padels are defferent, too.

And the splash shields are not in correct shape at all. Maybe they are just for 70 and up Imperials?!

I would love to get such a deal with DMT. Maybe I contact and tell him that mine are different and if he would be interested in using mine as templates.

I would love to get such a deal with DMT. Maybe I contact and tell him that mine are different and if he would be interested in using mine as templates.
I was hoping for a deal like that but I think the best you can hope for is the deal I got.
We discussed C-bodies in general and it's supply & demand economics to justify his tooling costs. All his products are die cut. The demand just isn't there. I think what he was did for me was just a good will gesture.

He's a really nice guy and did some door handle gaskets for me. He didn't have the 70 C Body handle gaskets at the time and took mine for patterns.

He's doing this part time and I think he's about at his limit. At least that's my take on it. Steel rule dies are relatively inexpensive, but still you have to sell enough to pay the cost. From talking to him, I think he's looking at other options for making gaskets, but again, the cost is high compared to the return.

Laser cutting tables are where it's at now.
shopping

I would go with waterjet myself.

A friend owns a waterjet shop and he does some work for me now and then. He cut a granite surface plate in half for me once (about 4 inches thick). Stuff like this rubber is child's play.

think laserjet may be best bet...can see a waterjet blowing gasket material about if not fastened down

I can't see a waterjet being used on soft material. But stuff is being done now that I never imagined so, maybe.

Maybe a 3D printed gasket?

That gasket business sounds so easy :) Just a few hundred thousand for tools, a building, raw material, etc. The splash shield material for example. There's a $10,000 MOQ (yep I didn't know what MOQ was either - Minimum Order Quantity). then the cost of shipping. Oh and then a forklift purchase to get the rolls off the truck. And lastly a 6000ft building to put it in plus another smaller 2000ft building I kept that I started in. Did I mention this is a hobby business that couldn't even support me if I lost my day job?

I'm interested in other splash shields if what I'm offering isn't correct for some models. One of the issues I run into is say a guy has a 37 Packard and needs splash shields. They MIGHT fit a bunch of other models but I don't know what ones and surprisingly most guys that have a 37 Packard don't know either OR worse they give me the wrong info and I list them for a 37 and 38 Packard. Later I find info on a forum that that DMT has know idea what hes doing cause a 38 Packard is different. Bottom line if a part ONLY fits one model I probably can't justify it cause like mentioned above i'm stretched thin and I'm a working slob with no retirement savings , now. Making a new product, even something simlke, takes an evening (after my day job from 6PM till 1 or 2AM) to reverse engineer a part. Hundreds for the steel rule die. Then HOPE I can at least pay for the tool. I dig money out of my own pocket to many times to pay for new tools.

Waterjet? Laser? Other? I have a laser but lasers have big limitations. One is they can't cut rubber. For that you need steel rule. I have 4 different style steel rule die presses and punches. Waterjets are noisy, messy and introduce too much moisture into both the parts and the facility which causes moisture problems in items that are sealed in bags. I've been investigating CNC oscillating knife equipment and will eventually purchase one. it's not a perfect technology. Soft or light weight stuff is hard to hold down without getting pushed around by the knife blade but other stuff it's great. The bad is they are wicked expensive (for me anyway). Even used. They have a tool/attachment for cutting holes upto 1/4" instead of time consuming steering a knife trying to make holes. That attachment alone is $12,000. The machine is like $140k then $6k to have the manufacturer assemble and set it up. Then a steep learning curve and I'm already very familiar with CNC - I design electrical power circuits and program industrial machines and robots at my day job.

SO if you have some parts, send picture via email. Help me with info about exactly what years/models the parts fit. the more models the easier it'll be to justify purchasing the steel rule tooling.

Presently I'm interested in nailing down all the firewall and kickpanel insulation pieces. Any in car pictures would be appreciate. Pictures or samples of Non AC or any variations on the AC pieces I did above for Alan would be appreciated.

I rarely have time to check in on the forums because of my day job, this side business and family obligations but if you email me to let me know there's a conversation I can help with or defend myself :) just shoot me an email.

Thanks

Jim Fillmore
Detroit Muscle Technologies

It's 6PM. I just got here after my day job and will be making gaskets till 1 or 2AM. Then up at 7AM for work again. Anyone else on this schedule?

Thank you for checking in, Jim. You have been an absolute asset to the hobby.

I made up that seven pc. (Ughhhhh!) splash shield set for my 76 New Yorker with the correct material that you GENEROUSLY sent me. It's beautiful. Wish you could see it.

I'm hard pressed to think o another vendor that puts this much time and effort into C body stuff, I just sent Jim the roof panel insulation pads from my 1972 Polara. These should fit many other models. Contact him if you're interested.

I had a set of tail light gaskets and engine bay splash guards off Jim for my 66 Fury and they were PERFECT!! He sent them to me here in the UK and I was very impressed with the quality, accuracy and how closely the materials used matched those originally used when the car was built. Great service and product

Cheers Steve

Back