Didn't know Ma made those.

3C's & a D?

Reaction score
1984ish? K car wagon, sadly non-turbo. Scrap yard. By the looks of it the clutch pedal is stronger than the k frame.

WP_20170130_14_06_24_Pro.jpg
WP_20170130_14_06_32_Pro.jpg
WP_20170130_14_06_38_Pro.jpg

The K-cars couldn't do anything right. That is the most horrid instrument panel in the history of motorized vehicles.

wp_20170130_14_06_38_pro-jpg.114272

Many horrible dash layouts and clusters in the 80s and 90s. It was a sign of the times.

I drove several K's when at the dealership in 83/ 84 some were sticks. I always liked the Ks

The aries and reliant K were never officially offered to the public as turbo models. The upscale lebaron and new yorker based off the K chassis were offered as turbos. First gen dash layout wasnt great, however they did add gages for water temp and volts in later versions of that dash.

Reason i say never officially offered is, a friend of mine out in oregon has a 1986 Reliant turbo wagon. He bought this from the DRMO sales at a local air base. The government ordered a bunch of em with turbos.

Not bad cars they were what kept chrysler afloat, and brought the company back. They were inexpensive to buy, and got good mileage. They were the right car for the time.

Btw the wide clutch pedal arm houses the automatic cable slack adjustor for the clutch cable. Thats why its so fat looking.

The wagon is cool , try to find a turbo, 5 spd van of that era :D

Last edited:
A lightweight and flexible (from a manufacturing standpoint) , the K platform spawned many different models. The daytona/laser G body, lebaron coupe/conv J body, and the minivans. I think the last cars spun off it were the dynasty/newyorker/imperial . My mom had one of the 1990 imperials. Sure it was a little scaled down. But it had a 3.8L V6 and was pretty quick, and very luxurious. Had real chromed steel bumpers too. Again one has to look at the times in which these things were produced.

I owned a 1988 daytona shelby Z. It was a bad *** K car variant. HD suspension and sway bars, intercooled turbo engine, t tops, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc brakes. Goodyear gatorbacks in 225-50 VR 15 series. This thing handled like it was on rails, and would stop on a dime. I turned up the wick on the turbo and embarassed many an unsuspecting camaro iroc owner with it. Plus it got an average of 27 mpg mixed city highway according to the 12 button digital navigator computer i added to it from a wrecked daytona pacifica. And on a straight highway trip i would regularly see 31 mpg. Again it was the right car for the time. Sporty looking, fast, well handling, and great gas mileage.

Long lost to the sands of time, i sold it in 1992. I car faxed its vin years later to see if i could find it and get it back, it ended up in a junkyard in upstate new york in 1998 as a wreck total. I still have the old emblems from it. I saved those when i removed them to smooth out the back by taking them off.

I bought another 1988 shelby z t top 5 speed car in 1999, got halfway done with it and went through a divorce. Lost interest and it now sits in the corner of my shop covered in boxes. Engine and trans are rebuilt, and i have boxes of NOS parts to finish its resto. Someday i will get to it. I will use the emblems from my first shelby on the back of this one.

Last edited:
The wagon is cool , try to find a turbo, 4spd van of that era :D

1989/1990 SWB was the only 2 years fotlr turbo minivans. Almost bought a 1989 caravan ES turbo 5 speed from a local auction. It had shelby alloy wheels and factory ground effects. Only one of these i had ever seen especially with the turbo and 5 speed. Would have made a great sleeper.

Last edited:
I had a 1989 turbo mini van . 2.5 turbo. Rebuilt the engine and got rid of the stock small Mitsubishi turbo and put in a bigger Garret turbo. The balance shafts were removed and the engine balanced for more power. Went to the junkyard and pulled a very large Volvo intercooler and installed it on the van . Pumped up the boost and had a hell of a time. Found a 5 speed turbo minivan in a yard and bought the tranny the pedals and linkages ,axels, but they said they would pull it . I was going to convert mine to a 5 speed. Got there and there was only the trans and nothing else. When I wanted the rest they told me it was already crushed.:confused::(

Last edited:
I believe there are turbo minivans in the 11's now. 12's are common. a 5 speed at the strip would be a hand full compared to a race automatic. But it can be done as with the 9 second Dodge Omni GLH turbo with a 5 speed I posted awhile back.

Last edited:
I believe there are turbo minivans in the 11's now. 12's are common. a 5 speed at the strip would be a hand full compared to a race automatic.
I worked on one once years ago but it sure didn't run like the one in your video. I have always liked the 2.2/2.5 turbo motors.

The 2.2 /2.5 was apparently the last design by the guy who designed the slant 6. If there was a blatant overall flaw was there was not quite enough surface area around the cylinders so if you raised the boost it was not uncommon to blow the gasket especially the stock type gasket. There are ways around it though.

The 2.2 /2.5 was apparently the last design by the guy who designed the slant 6. If there was a blatant overall flaw was there was not quite enough surface area around the cylinders so if you raised the boost it was not uncommon to blow the gasket especially the stock type gasket. There are ways around it though.
Yep, what i did when machining my last 2.2. Had the machinest machine the block around all 4 cylinders for stainless steel o rings, and run ARP head studs.

I did the same ,o ringed the block and Arp head studs . I haven't blown a gasket since. Since I had to original block I used the mopar forged crank as I heard without it [cast crank] the block could flex which was fixed by the common block. But this is old 1990's thought when I built it. JE forged pistons and rods ,G head big valve +40 injectors with super 60 wiring harness and custom smec socketed chip cal, bla bla. I built my glhs long ago and hope to put her on the road this spring.
I hope you get your Daytona on the road soon and finish her up. These cars are a hoot!!!

Last edited:
Moparmat2000, thanks for the info on the cable slack adjuster. Regarding your statement 89 90 being the only years for turbo minivans, I'm not 100% but I believe one of the shop vans ages ago was an 85 turbo van? Canadian model. It had the pull on the rear door handle once and the rectangular chrome trim above the license plate falls off feature. I loved bagging that thing, boss said I could have it for 200 bucks. No thanks, the thing felt as if it could fall apart at any time.

Way to show those mustang boys what's what.

One more thing Daytona "Pacifica"

I'm not 100% but I believe one of the shop vans ages ago was an 85 turbo van? Canadian model.

1985 in the states as far as I know were the first turbo models. I guess it is possible for a 85 turbo van up there but never heard of one.
The turbo vans in 89 and 90 used a completely different computer management system than earlier models. Which I converted my Omni glhs too. But by today's standards is antiquated but doable.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that 65 500. My mistake as there were apparently turbo models in 84 at least for the Daytona.

Back