1975 Imperial Dash Removal and Stereo Replacement

PsychedelicRocker

Reaction score
So, being that I couldn't find much documentation about the standard stereo for this car, or much about the removal of the dashboard, I figured I'd post my project so far. I have no manuals currently, so I'm winging it from scraps of information and as much deductive reasoning that I can use.

Included is a picture of my stock radio plugs, non 8 track, and the pinout of the early 00s Chrysler radio I'm going to put in for CD and Casette playback that doesnt look as out of place as those ultra modern kenwoods I see in Walmart. (I'd rather not spend on bluetooth features if I don't use them.)

I am going to purchase a male plug for the new unit, and attempt to adapt the native plugs, without any cutting to the original wires. (I'll see how that unfolds, and update later.)

In addition, the steering column wasnt as hard to drop as i thought it would. I think I unscrewed stuff unnecessarily, but it seems I only needed to unscrew four bolts on a black metal plate, undo the shift indicator, and two nuts that are perpendicular, just underneath the dash itself. (Theres a white plastic piece in that area, for reference to the photo.) I dont believe touching anything else further underneath near the pedals is required.

The dash itself wasnt difficult, it basically just slid out after popping up the metal top. Might as well install new speakers while I'm under here? I'll see how they sound with the new unit before reassembly. This was a tedious dash to disassemble, but not necessarily complicated other than the tight spaces to take out the two nuts for the column. Only enough room to make small movements with a short 11mm wrench.

20230611_200815.jpg

20230611_200847.jpg

20230611_200901.jpg

20230611_200746.jpg

20230611_200735.jpg

I too am disassembling my 77 NYB dash to install my freshly reconditioned instrument, cluster and a track radio. If you’re cool, I’m just disassembling until you figure it out, and keep on Truckin. But if you intend on keeping the car for sometime, I would certainly recommend a field service man. (FSM). Easily obtainable either online or an original hardcopy. You won’t be disappointed in having me I see you’re in Jersey, I’m in New York, maybe we’re close enough to meet up someday if we need some help.

IMG_3288.jpeg

IMG_3291.jpeg

IMG_3292.jpeg

IMG_3293.jpeg

What size are the dash speakers ? I need to replace my 75 Imperials.

5 1/4’s.. and 6x9’s for the rear, but I guess you knew that already..
Nope .. did not know the diameter of the fronts .

2nd question … my 8 track plays really fast . All my cassettes are of Alvin and the Chipmunks!
Is there a speed setting ?

Nope .. did not know the diameter of the fronts .

2nd question … my 8 track plays really fast . All my cassettes are of Alvin and the Chipmunks!
Is there a speed setting ?
I was mentioning the rears being 6x9’s as a funny since most of the cars back then used that size.

No speed control on the 8tracks, it may need a hood Going through! I had mine down by Barry’s 8track in AZ.. he’s the only guy that’s I’ve heard or seen that can do a digital upgrade with the stereo and 8track combo units. There are many companies that can clean and refurbish the unit to OE specks. But Barry guts the unit of the old style components and puts in a digital aurora system with includes Bluetooth and a USB port. He’s a very popular guy, my unit was with him for about 18 months, that’s how long is waiting list is. But once he gets his hands on it, it’s a fairly quick process.

Here’s his web info, he’s actually a retired aerospace engineer. So he’s very good at what he does.

IMG_3829.png

I dont see myself going to that expense and wait . Some 8 tracks have an adjustment on the back to adjust speed . Much like an antenna trim port . Was hoping these were one that did .

How long did it take to remove the dash pad ?

A Formal dash pad comes off in 10 minutes if you know where the bolts are and are experienced with them.

Been away for a while... just checked the replies.

The FSM is definitely something I'm going to invest in. The radio project I had going didn't go the way I wanted, so I'll probably invest in a more modern stereo with the Cassette/CD playback options... just don't want to cut the original wiring if I don't have to. The speakers need replacing to, so thanks for the dimensions!

Is the 8 track stereo worth getting? I still have a few somewhere, and I had a recorder lying around where I made mix tapes on them out of crappy tapes. I found them to be a bit more reliable than cassette in terms of home units, but I don't want to spend a long time trying to copy my collection to that format, hahaha!

I believe the stock speakers were a 1 wire system and were grounded through the frame and I'm not sure how modern speakers and radio's would behave in that setup so probably you'll need to change some of the wiring.

I can get you a 1975 FSM on pdf if you need it.

I believe the stock speakers were a 1 wire system and were grounded through the frame and I'm not sure how modern speakers and radio's would behave in that setup so probably you'll need to change some of the wiring.

I can get you a 1975 FSM on pdf if you need it.

Yes, please! I've been searching all over for a PDF of that!

As for the radio and speakers, if it comes to it, I guess I will, but I don't need anything crazy loud. Just decent clarity and other formats.

Yes, please! I've been searching all over for a PDF of that!

As for the radio and speakers, if it comes to it, I guess I will, but I don't need anything crazy loud. Just decent clarity and other formats.
Just my 2 cents.. you can pull new wires for an aftermarket unit without cutting or removing the OE, incase at some point you want to reinstall an OE unit. I have an extra 8 track if you’re looking.. also have hard copy 77 FSM if you’re looking as well. I think Thee said yours is a 75 though…

Just my 2 cents.. you can pull new wires for an aftermarket unit without cutting or removing the OE, incase at some point you want to reinstall an OE unit. I have an extra 8 track if you’re looking.. also have hard copy 77 FSM if you’re looking as well. I think Thee said yours is a 75 though…

Perfect... because I don't want to close off the option of a factory setup in the car. I'm looking at trying to play my CDs mostly, but I appreciate the offer. And yes, I have a '75.

Back