Dimmer Switch /// Never Seen One Like This /// Sentinel Dimmer

DeMopuar

Reaction score
Just wondering if this is an original dimmer switch for my 1972 Imperial? I've never seen a dimmer switch like this one. The three connections on the front I understand - but the lone one on the backside is what I have no idea what it's for? Can someone explain how this is supposed to work? This 1972 Imperial does have the headlamp sentinel option on it - I'm sure it has something to do with that?

Next question is - are these dimmer switches available, and if they are where does one get them? If these don't work well I'd appreciate that information as well. Just trying to understand the system and what I should and shouldn't do as far as getting it working.

Thanks,

Mark

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 5.32.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 5.35.50 PM.png

Just a bit of an update - yes - it appears that this is the correct headlamp dimmer switch for a car with the sentinel headlamp system installed. I looked up the part number in my parts book and the part number for this piece is 2661835. I would like to know if it is worth it to try to restore this system - or if this setup even works? If it doesn't work well - is there a way to live with it? Thanks again!!!

Just trying to understand the system and what I should and shouldn't do as far as getting it working.
We need to know exactly "what isn't working" before we explain the 3,766 solutions possible without knowing that information. Saves a ton of bandwidth.

That four prong switch is for the Twilight Sentinel system ONLY --- and has NOT been available for many many years...
Every now and then, they pop up on sleeze-bay for
$ 150.00....
I have one (1) remaining N.O.S. (ONLY) @ $ 95.00.....
If you see you need one or want one......

I just went through this on my 69 LeBaron. The 4 prong dimmer has not been available for years. Contact Mobile Parts (Craig Stanley). He had 2 before I bought mine. He is a member on here and is a super nice guy. If the Sentinel system is turned off, your headlights dim and brighten like a conventional system.

Yes indeed!!! I had exactly two (2) until Hillfarmer just scooped one up just a few weeks ago !!!!
And, then, there is ONE (1) ONLY !!!!!!
Thanxxx again, Hillfarmer, and Congratulations !!!
Yours, Craig.....

That four prong switch is for the Twilight Sentinel system ONLY --- and has NOT been available for many many years...
Every now and then, they pop up on sleeze-bay for
$ 150.00....
I have one (1) remaining N.O.S. (ONLY) @ $ 95.00.....
If you see you need one or want one......

PM sent................

Back