Dipstick length

TNT440

Reaction score
Could someone tell me how far the dipstick in a big block should extend past the bottom of the block. I didn't assemble this motor and I suspect it had the wrong dipstick. What makes me think this is that there is a curl at the end of it. I have five other big blocks and none of them have a dipstick with a curl. It is also shorter. I currently have the oil pan off so if I could get that measurement, I would know for sure.

Thanks

Depends on the oil pan, application.

Deeper pan = longer stick.

You need the measurement of the dipstick that's in a car like yours, assuming the oil pans are the same.

I once heard a tale of someone using a long enough dipstick in a Power Wagon flathead 6 that it pushed a swinging oil pickup out of the oil and destroyed the bottom end.

Not a dipstick expert but they are pretty specific to application.

Depends on the oil pan, application.

Deeper pan = longer stick.

You need the measurement of the dipstick that's in a car like yours, assuming the oil pans are the same.
I have always assumed that the deeper pan had more capacity.

Alan

More capacity but the oil level will be the same distance from the bottom of the block when full. I don't believe dipstick length has anything to do with pan depth. I read somewhere that oil level should to be about 1.5 inches below the bottom of the block when full. Looking for confirmation.

Take the dipsticks from the other engines and measure your distance, I'm new to the Mopar scene, but it seems to me the length depends on how long the tube is. I assume the big block in a truck would have a different length tube than a car, so you can reach it.

Yes the tube lengths would vary and if you have matched set, there would be no question. Because I do not believe I have a matched set I want to verify I'm at the correct depth. The full mark on the dipstick needs to be a specific distance from the bottom of the block. While I have the pan off I want to verify that.

I would assume the easiest thing to do would be to fill up with the specified oil capacity from the FSM (say 5 quarts?) and verify that your oil level matches the full mark on the dipsick?

. I read somewhere that oil level should to be about 1.5 inches below the bottom of the block when full.
You read somewhere.....jeez.

Yes, I read somewhere else before getting the measurement confirmed by you on the B body site. I saw your post 5 minutes after I posted that comment. Thank you for the confirmation and everyone else for all of the feedback.

Let us know what you figure out about the current stick. If you were filling with oil to the pan rails, you'd be 9 quarts or better and your oil pressure and indeed ability to rev the engine would show it.

Back