Disc brake conversion alert

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the very rare Budd brake setup. Just the lower rebuilt ball joints are 450 a piece. The rotors are very tough to find, and calipers. That's why most guys with those install the 69-73 setup. They use the drum or disc ball joints with 2 bolts. The 66-68 disc setup is very rare.

How hard is it to find the rest of the goodies (caliper/rotor/ backing plate,etc) needed to make a swap to disc brakes on a '67 Dodge?

Glenn

Somewhere I had read about using 73 c-body parts (caliper/rotor/ backing plate,etc) to do a front drum to disc swap in my 66 Fury. Miracles do happen and I found a 73 Fury at the junkyard. I pulled all the parts but recently bought a 68 New Yorker with a really leaky caliper. I'm thinking I can change the lower ball joint on the NY and swap the rest of the Budd stuff out. Hopefully within a month. Will let you know if it works. Doug

Nope. Don't need them. I don't feel Slabs with drums need to be converted to them. Like headers. On a C-body? Please. For bragging rights only.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
Nope. Don't need them. I don't feel Slabs with drums need to be converted to them. Like headers. On a C-body? Please. For bragging rights only.

Posted via Topify on Android

Logically a heavier car is harder to stop so a C body would benefit more from them than a smaller car even if you probably won't be making multiple panic stops in succession or auto-crossing it. I agree about the headers though

How hard is it to find the rest of the goodies (caliper/rotor/ backing plate,etc) needed to make a swap to disc brakes on a '67 Dodge?

Glenn

All you need is the spindles from a 73-76 A body or 73-74 B body

1Knuckle, L13402629*Master Power‘73-74 E- body, disc- equipped ‘73-76 A- bodyJunkyard, or new repros from Master Power Brakes, Inc
2Knuckle, R13402628*Master PowerSameSame

and the caliper brackets.

6Caliper adapters23880557*_‘76-‘78 B- body w/pin- type calipersJunkyard. See text for slider- type info.
6ACaliper adapters - opt.23580839*
3461977*
-‘70-74 E- body; ‘70- 75 B-bodyFor 10.87" rotors and 14-in. wheels

The rest can be sourced reasonable at the local parts store. Read this http://www.moparaction.com/tech/archive/disc-main.html

Stan and I have always been in the minority on this. My convertible has drums and there is no problem stopping. Sure four wheel discs would make a huge difference but front disc/rear drum isnt that amazing to make me wanna change the four wheel drums. These are simply cruisers that get minimal miles a year......

You could have a stick on a pivot and it would stop eventually.

I wouldn't bother with rear discs either ...

Logically, 4 wheel discs would be the way to go. Realistically maybe not. Some articles about swapping Imperial rear discs to a Mopar drum rear say it really doesn't help much since the front brakes do a major part of the stopping. And there is something about the emergency/parking brake setup on the rear that is a PITA too. On big boats the factory 4 wheel drums do an amazing job.

That's the very rare Budd brake setup. Just the lower rebuilt ball joints are 450 a piece. The rotors are very tough to find, and calipers. That's why most guys with those install the 69-73 setup. They use the drum or disc ball joints with 2 bolts. The 66-68 disc setup is very rare.

Rotors are easy to find. Just expensive. One company cast a lot of them, and they can be purchased new. They're just not cheap. I can't speak to calipers, since I have three sets, and never tried to source them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back