Do police wheels have 4 slots or 6?

In 69 the Hemi cars used a 15x6 wheel that was also the Police wheel, as well as station wagons.
They are a heavy duty wheel, they are a heavier gauge metal. At that time other cars had 15-5-1/2 wheels.

This is the 69 wheel, note the center is smooth and will be stamped H
2014-10-09_003.jpg

As for those ebay wheels I have no idea what they are.

Alan

Sometimes I just go dumb .....

I stick with my original thought 70s 80s rear wheel drive wheel.

Who's our resident wheel expert

The JJ wheels were mandatory on Formal station wagons and I believe also with cars that had a tow package. I believe that is the reason you couldn't get road wheels (on Formals and maybe earlier cars) with a tow package because the JJ 15x7 wheels were mandatory and I don't believe road wheels were available in 15x7.

In 69 the Hemi cars used a 15x6 wheel that was also the Police wheel, as well as station wagons.
They are a heavy duty wheel, they are a heavier gauge metal. At that time other cars had 15-5-1/2 wheels.

2014-10-09_003.jpg

How about this one? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203364512176984&set=gm.10152664058266245&type=1

Alan
What about these wheels? Don't know if its a true police car though.

2014-10-09_003.jpg

Alan

These slotted wheels look like the “standard” Dodge-Plymouth-Chrysler stamped type, used on all cars under hub caps and wheel covers, and on trucks and vans up to the ‘90s.

4.5" x 5 bolt centers?

I like ‘em!

What are JJ wheels?

These slotted wheels look like the “standard” Dodge-Plymouth-Chrysler stamped type, used on all cars under hub caps and wheel covers, and on trucks and vans up to the ‘90s.

4.5" x 5 bolt centers?

I like ‘em!

What are JJ wheels?

15x7 steelie's on Formal station wagons and cars with towing packages.

What about these wheels? Don't know if its a true police car though.

Those are "Police" / "Hemi" / "Wagon" wheels that were used in the 60's they are 15x6.
They are true "Police" wheels, they are off my true "police" car.
They are different than standard steel wheels, they are heavier gauge for one, they are also JJ code.

These are "Police" wheels from 1977 and later...
MW695740.JPG

Alan

The JJ wheels were mandatory on Formal station wagons and I believe also with cars that had a tow package. I believe that is the reason you couldn't get road wheels (on Formals and maybe earlier cars) with a tow package because the JJ 15x7 wheels were mandatory and I don't believe road wheels were available in 15x7.

There's an older guy here with a few very nice formals, knows them inside and out. He has some wider road wheels like these on at least one of his cars.

69 Chrysler (77).jpg77T&C%20post%20resto.jpg

69 Chrysler (77).jpg

77T&C%20post%20resto.jpg

They are different than standard steel wheels, they are heavier gauge for one, they are also JJ code.
Alan

I remember seeing a chart years back on what the letter codes meant on wheels, but I can't find one now. What does JJ mean? Is it a reference to a load range, like letters on sidewalls, or flange type, or something else?

15X8 Cop Wheels wearing 255/70R15 tires will give a C-Body a shot of testosterone...

Black 1970 Imperial/Chrysler Coupe with this setup...

Oh yeah!!!

Late Cordobas I think Mr C said.

The road wheel was available in 15x7 from 78 (the first iteration was the NYB Salon wheel..it's a road wheel hiding behind the aluminum fascia) through to the end of production in 1981. It seems that 1978 was an odd year and that the chrome road wheels were 15x6 and only the Salon wheel was 15x7 in 78 and then from1979 on all road wheels were 15x7 until 1981.
I can't prove that with factory information (all the data books talk about the forged aluminum wheels and omit the steel road wheel entirely), only personal experience. The 15x7s are fairly rare because of all the aluminum wheel hype of the 80's so I guess few were ordered that way.

The set on my T&C came from an 80's LeBaron M Body. Here's a pic of a 79 LeBaron from the brochure with the 15x7s.

1979-Chrysler-LeBaron-11.jpg

Back