Does a 1964 Imperial need upgrades for 70mph?

Only upgrade I'd suggest is the single to dual master cylinder conversion, its easy to do and adds safety
Cruising at 75 you may need to stop that 2 1/2 tons quickly
I'm currently putting disks in the front and upgrading the master to a dual! I already had some brake fade and my single master was leaking! I really didn't feel like pulling a Thelma & Louise by way of brake failure! Lol

For myself I just completed a trip from Indy to Ocala Fl. and back. Your check list should include all steering and suspension. Worn ball joints and steering linkage can make cruising at 70 mph more than a hand full. The same goes for tires, purest owners like biased ply tires, I however for 235r/75/15 tires more than adequate properly inflated. A well tuned engine will give you smiles for miles. One good check over on your belts and hoses will keep the hood closed for the entire trip.

I am running 2.94 gears with 28 inch tall tires.
I did a lot of highway driving with ease .
Carlisle, Volo Illinois, Newfoundland.
Nothing fancy just good reliable parts that work together.
Knowing. I would be on the road, if I need parts they can be bought at any parts store.
My oil gets changed often so nothing fancy there. If I need a quart on the road I grab one should I have none in the trunk.
There is nothing else that was not already said. Load up the GPS and fill er up n go!
Hope this helps

I was reading @cbarge 's thread "ammeter bypass". I'm thinking I'll do that mod and possibly the bulkhead bypass to be safe on my fusie. I'm no expert but definitely want to avoid a dash fire or roadside breakdown. Good luck on the road trip!

I'll pile on what others have said without adding anything new; your car will do fine. My '64 Crown vert sees several 200 mile + trips a year. Before I crossed over to Imperial products I had a '67 Cadillac that I put 20k miles on-numerous trips from one end of California to the other. There are worse ways to travel than an in old car.

Yep, they'll do it with no problem. My folks had a 1968 Imperial that they drove like they stole it. It's 72 miles from La Junta to Walsenburg, Colorado. That car did that several times in under 35 minutes. The only time the speedo dropped below 100 was to go around the two little lonely curves in the middle of that stretch.

Current responsive shocks is also a good idea at highway speeds to avoid the cruise ship type ride that can get your car bouncing more than it should

ESPECIALLY as that "cruise ship" type of ride was more in the realm of Buick rather than the firm, stable ride which Chryslers were famous for "at speed". Which got even better with the HD shocks from "back then".

Overdrive tranny or tall tires & hwy gears. Don't forget to recalibrate the speedo afterwards. Good shocks.

I'm surprised no one mentioned road tunes, a radio upgrade wouldn't hurt. I got one with a USB slot and an SD card slot so I can preload MP3s , it's like I have my very own radio station.

Either a digital navigator like a Garmin GPS (my wife uses one in her Avenger for long road trips), or a phone cradle. I got one that clips to the AC vent, lets me see it while I glance at Google Maps.

(2.93 gears and 9.15x15 OEM tire size meets the "highway gears/tall tires" criteria. ONE of the neat things, to me, is discovering what's on the AM radio out in the country. "Expanding horizons", so to speak, just like "back then".)

i drive my 69 new yorker once a month from new york to maryland doing 80 mph for 400 miles on bf goodrich bias belted tires. no issues.

Overdrive tranny or tall tires & hwy gears. Don't forget to recalibrate the speedo afterwards. Good shocks.

I'm surprised no one mentioned road tunes, a radio upgrade wouldn't hurt. I got one with a USB slot and an SD card slot so I can preload MP3s , it's like I have my very own radio station.

Either a digital navigator like a Garmin GPS (my wife uses one in her Avenger for long road trips), or a phone cradle. I got one that clips to the AC vent, lets me see it while I glance at Google Maps.
The road trips in the BoaB did consistvof searching for radio station on the factree AM/FM thumbwheel.
Yes I use a GPS for directions and speedometer since mine is off a bit.

I annually drive one of my letter cars, E, F, and G to and from Florida each year. 1800 miles one way. I have been doing that for 12 years. Radial tires on all of them. No problems.

I'm looking at 300 to 500 one way. Mostly on the highway. I'll definitely look into some new ring gears!
You may notice that my profile picture is of a 64 Imperial. Your car has 2:93 gears. These car will eat highways at 70 mph. This is what Imperials were designed to do. Just go over the front end, shocks, torsion bars and rear leaves. brakes (if you have the money and time - go to a dual chamber master cylinder) and spring for new tires. Other than that be prepared for the trip of your life.

I own a 64 Imperial and one thing I'm going to add, although the purists will disagree
A third rear window brake light, maybe even one that flashes a few times when you hit the brakes
We've gotten so used to huge high mounted tail lights on SUVs,and the third brake light, and 64 Imperial tail lights are pretty small and mounted low, someone not paying attention or playing with their phone may not notice them
God help the car that rear ends an Imperial, but I'd rather not find out :steering:

FWIW I've had 25 Imperials, from 59 to 68. None were upgraded or modified other than stock in any way. I live in San Diego, California, where "normal" freeway speeds often approach 80 mph. Never had a problem on any of the many 100 plus mile trips I've made. Never went to disc brakes (except for those that came with them, 67-68) and never had a problem stopping. That said, I try to keep my cars in safe-to-drive condition: good tires, brakes, IN-SPEC drums, front end, shocks, fluids, etc. I've hopped in "just purchased" ones and driven anywhere from 1200 miles (trouble free-64 convert), to 300 (trouble-prone 66 convert where top blew off, tire exploded, no heater (30 degree weather), and I STILL made it home. These are VERY hardy cars that were overbuilt when new, and most have aged very well. Have fun and drive.

Back