Does Anyone Have an NOS or Really Good Backup Light Assembly for a 1972-3 Imperial

I last received an update from George Laurie on this project at the end of January and he told me his doctors told him he needs a knee replacement, but unfortunately he can't afford one and in Australia, their healthcare system seems to be even worse than the one we have over here. So I am not sure he can get these reproduced at all now unless he receives the funds from a benefactor. Last time I checked thoroughly, I could not find an nos one anywhere and even those might not have lasted all these years in a box without deteriorating substantially since they were just junk to begin with. George was going to make quality ones with really good plastics and chrome finish that would indeed last. His reproductions are usually far better than Chrysler's original ones, even their best ones.

I last received an update from George Laurie on this project at the end of January and he told me his doctors told him he needs a knee replacement, but unfortunately he can't afford one and in Australia, their healthcare system seems to be even worse than the one we have over here. So I am not sure he can get these reproduced at all now unless he receives the funds from a benefactor. Last time I checked thoroughly, I could not find an nos one anywhere and even those might not have lasted all these years in a box without deteriorating substantially since they were just junk to begin with. George was going to make quality ones with really good plastics and chrome finish that would indeed last. His reproductions are usually far better than Chrysler's original ones, even their best ones.
I got in contact with George just today for an update and he is currently getting cortisone shots in his knee to help with the pain and as a result he is working hard to get the first batch of backup lens assemblies done in 2 to 3 weeks now - that is really good news. This has been a long haul for us both but fruition is finally imminent!!

I got in contact with George just today for an update and he is currently getting cortisone shots in his knee to help with the pain and as a result he is working hard to get the first batch of backup lens assemblies done in 2 to 3 weeks now - that is really good news. This has been a long haul for us both but fruition is finally imminent!!
If it is possible, I would buy 3 or 4.

OK guys, I will see how many he is capable of making and get back to you in this thread when I know more. He may want to send the first one to me to test fit it since he doesn't have one of these cars over there. He used the best ones I had and also some from a friend of mine in Wisconsin to copy.

OK guys, I will see how many he is capable of making and get back to you in this thread when I know more. He may want to send the first one to me to test fit it since he doesn't have one of these cars over there. He used the best ones I had and also some from a friend of mine in Wisconsin to copy.
I had a long discussion with George on the cost of each lens yesterday and his input was that he made the molds for the backup lenses using very high quality silicone that is quite expensive and also only used the highest quality resins to make the plastic lens that he has to import from the U.S. since he feels we have the best quality resin available anywhere in his experience (this is apparently where Chrysler saved their cost in making those original ones that didn't do well over time). He also described the chrome plating process as "a real pain" but managed to find a way to make those thin chrome lines. Also, given the limited quantity of 20 reproductions estimated so far, the expense of making each one isn't cheap. So in order order to make much of a profit at all to make this worthwhile for him he has to price each one from $250 each for 3 or more plus shipping or for one or two lenses he said the cost would be $300 each (including shipping to the U.S. and maybe a minimal additional cost for shipping elsewhere such as Europe or Canada, etc). He estimated shipping costs around $45 yo $50 to the U.S. and somewhat more for Europe/ Canada, etc. depending on size of the container/number purchased.

Given that input, could you folks send me a revised estimate of how many you would like to purchase and I can work with him to revise his estimates if the total of 20 orders falls off a great deal (i.e. the cost would need to go up some given the low volume if orders fall much lower than 20).

So that is the reality we face but most of the parts I bought from George for my earlier 1960 Imperials and 1961 New Yorker coupe and so forth were priced in that range as well but given the excellent quality of the parts I have purchased from him, I felt the cost was well worth it. As in this case, you will not find them available anywhere else for any price.

So your feedback would be appreciated........................................

Steve

I had a long discussion with George on the cost of each lens yesterday and his input was that he made the molds for the backup lenses using very high quality silicone that is quite expensive and also only used the highest quality resins to make the plastic lens that he has to import from the U.S. since he feels we have the best quality resin available anywhere in his experience (this is apparently where Chrysler saved their cost in making those original ones that didn't do well over time). He also described the chrome plating process as "a real pain" but managed to find a way to make those thin chrome lines. Also, given the limited quantity of 20 reproductions estimated so far, the expense of making each one isn't cheap. So in order order to make much of a profit at all to make this worthwhile for him he has to price each one from $250 each for 3 or more plus shipping or for one or two lenses he said the cost would be $300 each (including shipping to the U.S. and maybe a minimal additional cost for shipping elsewhere such as Europe or Canada, etc). He estimated shipping costs around $45 yo $50 to the U.S. and somewhat more for Europe/ Canada, etc. depending on size of the container/number purchased.

Given that input, could you folks send me a revised estimate of how many you would like to purchase and I can work with him to revise his estimates if the total of 20 orders falls off a great deal (i.e. the cost would need to go up some given the low volume if orders fall much lower than 20).

So that is the reality we face but most of the parts I bought from George for my earlier 1960 Imperials and 1961 New Yorker coupe and so forth were priced in that range as well but given the excellent quality of the parts I have purchased from him, I felt the cost was well worth it. As in this case, you will not find them available anywhere else for any price.

Steve
What a blessing for George to make these available! Hats off to him!

Thanks for keeping us up to date Steve.
Is the price excluding shipping for mor than just the lens & chrome wrapped trim?
Still seems like a decent price for a new back up light.

Could be the test mule being a lot closer, but regardless, I'm still interested in obtaining one. Just to be clear; I've never dealt with George, but from many reports, he's a bit like dealing with SMS, great products, but the waiting times and lack of communication can be a downer and nobody should expect to receive their parts asap, particularly given his apparent knee problems at the moment.

Last edited:
Could be the test mule being a lot closer, but regardless, I'm still interested in obtaining one. Just to be clear; I've never dealt with George, but from many reports, he's a bit like dealing with SMS, great products, but the waiting times and lack of communication can be a downer and nobody should expect to receive their parts asap, particularly given his apparent knee problems at the moment.
After helping him a great deal with getting a title for a couple of Formal wagons he was going to ship to Australia and other help in getting some NOS parts for him and sending them to him in Australia as well plus having a major stroke almost 2 years ago he has been very helpful to me in return and has sent me many of the parts that I needed for my 1960 Imperials and my 1961 New Yorker in a very timely manner. Since I am involved in this effort as well, I believe he will be responsive in this case too. He can't drive, has to get public transportation to go anywhere and has to rely on ordering stuff, he is pretty limited in what he can do, but he still can see well enough to get me those parts for my two cars in a timely manner. I do not think he will let me down (i.e. us as well) unless he has another stroke and becomes debilitated. He was able to make some of the parts for my two cars since his stroke and I got them very quickly. So there is some risk here but can't say much more than that. George has been very steady in responding to all my emails to him over the last couple years (he spent a year in the hospital in Australia getting him rehabilitated and he seems to have turned out better than I would have expected). He was found on the floor in his kitchen and had been there overnight and in the morning his neighbor found him there - given those circumstances I am surprised he is still here since with a stroke, time is usually of the essence. One thing I could do is order 2 of them that I need and see how responsive he is.
Thanks for keeping us up to date Steve.
Is the price excluding shipping for mor than just the lens & chrome wrapped trim?
Still seems like a decent price for a new back up light.
It includes only the plastic lens housing with the bright/chrome outline embellishment on them, no metal parts involved Tim if I understand your question correctly.

One other thought is to not order more than 3 of them at a time given the price reduction and if you get the them in a timely manner then go ahead and order more if you need more than three. This situation is what it is so don't make any gambles if you can't afford to lose the funds. You know the risks as well as I do now so I can't make any promises. Or you could wait and see how many of us that go ahead and order some actually get them in a timely manner before you order any. I do the best I can to make these parts available and ensure reliable sources but if I need these parts I too have to make some gambles and spend a lot of time working with a potential supplier and then supplying prototypes to copy and hope I can even get those back when that is the case. Its kind of a situation where if no risks taken there will be no gain.

I am still in for 1 piece (for my 1973).
Living in Vienna - Austria - Europe :)

I also confirm my order for one piece. I'm located in Germany, maybe it would make sense to bundle our order to make things easier for George and save some shipping/custom costs. I figure @Joerg you could ship mine onwards to me and I pay you or the other way round ... I'm sure we can make that work if it helps George

I also confirm my order for one piece. I'm located in Germany, maybe it would make sense to bundle our order to make things easier for George and save some shipping/custom costs. I figure @Joerg you could ship mine onwards to me and I pay you or the other way round ... I'm sure we can make that work if it helps George
That certainly makes sense to me and if any other orders can be bundled, please let me know as anything that makes this shipping effort much easier would help all of us and George.

Also, I have asked George to send me the first two reproductions that I needed so I can show the final product by itself and also one of them mounted to one of my two cars before I finalize the number of lenses that he would need to make.

So if the prices have deterred anyone from buying the previously listed quantities they would like to order, I need to know how many final orders to place so George could go ahead and order the need resins and other costs to cover his production costs.

If you prefer, you could also send me the final total you would like to order in a pm.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve
Okay, I will be in for one piece. Thanks,

Back