Does this look normal for a 66 Fury?

Zaggart

Reaction score
Hey All,

I found a super cool 66 Fury convertible for sale but when I asked to dig a little deeper I'm not sure what I'm finding is good.. is this right rocker indicative of factory 66 quality or did someone booger weld this replacement badly? And the trunk makes me think rust has been painted over (rough surface to the right of the patch) vs. the smoother surface to the left. I have nothing to compare it to so I'm relying on your expertise.

Yes, it's also a matte finish which is why I was drawn to it but now I'm wondering if that hides more odd bodywork.

rocker2_lumps.jpg

trunk.jpg

How much. 100 bucks? Buy it sight unseen.
1,000 bucks? Not with the miniscule tidbit of info you have provided.

But seeing the repairs so far, they suck.

Hey All,

I found a super cool 66 Fury convertible for sale but when I asked to dig a little deeper I'm not sure what I'm finding is good.. is this right rocker indicative of factory 66 quality or did someone booger weld this replacement badly? And the trunk makes me think rust has been painted over (rough surface to the right of the patch) vs. the smoother surface to the left. I have nothing to compare it to so I'm relying on your expertise.

Yes, it's also a matte finish which is why I was drawn to it but now I'm wondering if that hides more odd bodywork.

View attachment 494084

View attachment 494085
Those are some fine welds on the bottom of the 1/4 panel. Also nice rivets on the patch panels. Could it have saw dust in the differential?

A lot of Mopar verts has some pretty lousy looking welds at the base of the door pillars. This has to do with the way these cars were constructed. A unibody is reliant on the roof panel for support to keep the body from sagging in the middle. Convertibles lack a solid roof so Mopar added a lot of extra metal inside the rocker panels. This is a hunk of steel about 5/8" thick that is curved to match the outer panel of the rocker. It goes from the rear of the rocker to the front of the cowl and is welded in place at numerous attachment points. All this means that the outer panel of the rocker was installed after the heavy metal was welded into place. The crappy looking "booger" welds were done by hand to tack the outer rocker panel in place and hold it that way as the pinch welds were applied top and bottom.

Most Mopar convertibles will have rust on the trunk floor and the lower quarter radii because the rear windows on the top always leaked and allowed water to get into the trunk. Pot rivets for rust repair are always a crappy repair. If you are looking for a project car or a driver, this one is pretty typical of what you are going to find. If it is priced as a project car, I would not be too scared of it. You would want to carefully inspect for structural rust on the frame rails. If those are gone, run don't walk away.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave,

I'll keep that in mind the more I look at them. This one is priced at $21500 which so far seems to be on the upper end for a driver. But I could be wrong on that range too.

Thanks Dave,

I'll keep that in mind the more I look at them. This one is priced at $21500 which so far seems to be on the upper end for a driver. But I could be wrong on that range too.

For a driver/project, that price is way out of line. Very nice ones are $16.5 and up.

Dave

G'Day,
Just a Gentle Tip.
When Ever You are Looking to Buy a Car It Is ALWAYS a Good Idea amongst other Things to Apply the Sock Test.
(A Nice Soft Woolen Sock with a Reasonably Strong Magnet Inside.)
If It Doesn't want to Stick to the Panel as You Drag it over, You Know there Might be Something besides Metal in the Panel.
And of Cause the Sock won't Damage the Paintwork.
Always a Good Question to Ask, "Will It Stand the Sock Test"
Regards Tony.M

Thanks Dave,

That's more than a nice one without these sketchy repairs is worth.

If this was a $2100 car, then maybe with some looking at other areas... The trunk really doesn't bother me as much as the rocker/door jam welding. That's some Mattel "My First Welder" action there.

G'Day,
Just a Gentle Tip.
When Ever You are Looking to Buy a Car It Is ALWAYS a Good Idea amongst other Things to Apply the Sock Test.
(A Nice Soft Woolen Sock with a Reasonably Strong Magnet Inside.)
If It Doesn't want to Stick to the Panel as You Drag it over, You Know there Might be Something besides Metal in the Panel.
And of Cause the Sock won't Damage the Paintwork.
Always a Good Question to Ask, "Will It Stand the Sock Test"
Regards Tony.M

I like it. Always be a little suspicious and then a little bit more...

Back