Dome light comes on momentarily when turning key in ignition

Fishfan

Reaction score
I recently replaced all the bulbs in the car (except the ones in the dash) with LEDs. I also did some other work on the car that required me to do some wiring. Now, when I start the car, as I turn the ignition key, the dome light turns on momentarily. I don't remember if it did this before. Of course the old incandescent bulb was much dimmer than the new LED so maybe it did and never noticed it. In any case, once engine is running and key in normal position (not cranking) dome light goes off.

Any thoughts?

Also, the LED uses less power. It's probably stray voltage resulting from a questionable ground. I noticed when I replaced my dash lights with LED's that when I hit the horn both dash lights for the blinkers light momentarily. I'm assuming but never checked that the actual turn signals don't light up. It just doesn't take much to light these LED's and so a very small voltage will do it. Could be fixed, of course, but on something like this I usually wait for it to quit working entirely or start smoking. Either way, troubleshooting is easier.

Back