Door pull removal

Kaz

Reaction score
Howdy folks! I'm new to the forum and new to the world of C Bodies. This is a great site! I've recently got a 1970 Chrysler New Yorker, all in all in pretty good shape. I'm trying to fix a bunch of little th ings on my own when I have time. Today's challenge is the door panel. Both outside door lock cylinders are stuck/frozen: key goes in but doesn't turn at all. Front doors open from inside/outside, back doors only from inside. Do I need to remove the door pull to get the panel off? If so, how? Thank you!
16319952034367822395765196713458.jpg
16319952373284044677967545269825.jpg

Yes. They screw into the inner door panel. The "squares" pry off, and then the screws as you can see in the second picture.

Caution: Be EXTREMELY careful with the window switches and particularly the connectors to those switches. It's not the best design, and it's really bad after 50 years. See pics, and my mod of soldering pigtails directly to the switch.

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_4521.JPG

Window switches:
IMG_0637.JPG
IMG_0667.JPG
IMG_0677.JPG
IMG_0685.JPG

Thank you! That's what I thought. So, carefully wedge a screwdriver under and "pop" it off?

Thank you! That's what I thought. So, carefully wedge a screwdriver under and "pop" it off?
Yep, but I can't remember which direction to "pop". Protect panel from the screwdriver with a bit of cardboard. Or use nylon trim removal tools.

You may be able to free the locks by squirting some WD40 or similar into the key slots then just work the keys gently. Worth a try to save some work. Back doors you'll have to remove the panels.

You may be able to free the locks by squirting some WD40 or similar into the key slots then just work the keys gently. Worth a try to save some work. Back doors you'll have to remove the panels.
Better than WD-40 is this stuff.

61rLGG8rxqL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Throw the WD40 in the trash and get some GOOD lubricant.

lube them good and try the key not all the way in. Sounds like it could be the wrong key for the locks.

the local locksmih shop promotes using Tri-flow. I use it on everything, good stuff.

I agree with wrong key for the locks. The ignition might've been changed. The ignition key would therefore no longer work in the door locks.

I also agree with, after you remove the door panels, removing lock cylinders, and taking them to a locksmith so that a matching key can be made.

Welcome to the forum, nice New Yorker! This the one from Maryland that was listed on FB? Where in NJ are you?

Thanks to those who suggested re-keying the lock cylinder! After scouring this site and YouTube, I was actually able to remove the cylinder, re-key it, and most importantly, reinstall it and it even works! Driver's side next time! Thanks again!
16320941861895435067846354720130.jpg

Looks like that New Yorker is in nice condition. Good luck with it. How about posting some more pictures, including the fender tag? I had the same issue with the door locks because the ignition had been changed.

Back