Driveshaft Torque Specs

jneil92

Reaction score
I have a 67 Newport and was wondering if anyone knew the torque specs to the pinion bolts on the driveshaft? Also the torque specs to the oil pan bolts? All insight appreciated :)

Are you talking about the nut on the rear end holding the yoke to the pinion shaft or the straps holding the u-joint to the yoke?

sometimes I say start to strip but felt like the changing it up this morning for added confusion

start to strip is just as bad.
How do you know when they are at the point where they will strip if you go further.

wrist tighten till they're about to strip then back em off a 1/4 turn
Now thats just bad advise ........ He might take you seriously.....!!!! Torque specs are only effective on the tighten direction. Once you "back off" a fastener the torque load changes and is no longer effective.

Not sure about the pinion nut but the u joint strap bolts are 25 LBS. You really should locate a FSM.

Now thats just bad advise ........ He might take you seriously.....!!!! Torque specs are only effective on the tighten direction. Once you "back off" a fastener the torque load changes and is no longer effective.

Not sure about the pinion nut but the u joint strap bolts are 25 LBS. You really should locate a FSM.

No worry of that. I was watching to make sure someone came along and told me it was bad advice :)

You were messing with me then, weren't you Bryan....

Posted via Topify on Android

Yes. I confess emoticonbigsmile.gif

I was sick all week and am feeling much better now

emoticonbigsmile.gif

Thank you, you've been the most help with this problem so far. I really have no way of getting a factory service manual right now or I definitely would have done it already. The pinion nut is really bothering me, I'm going to pull it in a few minutes but I really wanna know some torque specs before I put it back on.

Someone here HAS to have a factory service manual, or atleast has a general idea of the pinion nut torque spec??? :gah:

Thank you, you've been the most help with this problem so far. I really have no way of getting a factory service manual right now or I definitely would have done it already. The pinion nut is really bothering me, I'm going to pull it in a few minutes but I really wanna know some torque specs before I put it back on.

I'll help out with the second question ... click the first link

linky

Okay - went out and looked at a 67 FSM - the drive pinion flange nut torque is 200 - 220 ft/lbs. Now, since no one else said it, (surprisingly), without an FSM and a few expensive special tools you do not want to touch that nut. If you do there's a few other things that should be done which basically require complete rear end tear-down so you can verify pre-load, backlash, etc.. If you should happen to find it loose you should be able to tighten it so you can drive it to a repair shop or get it home, but that's the only reason I'd do it. The torque spec for the driveshaft retainer bolts is listed at 170 - 200 inch/lbs which is 14 - 16.5 ft/lbs.
Mike

Okay - went out and looked at a 67 FSM - the drive pinion flange nut torque is 200 - 220 ft/lbs. Now, since no one else said it, (surprisingly), without an FSM and a few expensive special tools you do not want to touch that nut. If you do there's a few other things that should be done which basically require complete rear end tear-down so you can verify pre-load, backlash, etc.. If you should happen to find it loose you should be able to tighten it so you can drive it to a repair shop or get it home, but that's the only reason I'd do it. The torque spec for the driveshaft retainer bolts is listed at 170 - 200 inch/lbs which is 14 - 16.5 ft/lbs.
Mike
How in depth of a tear down would it be? I have been trying to replace the pinion seal because I've had a leak. What kind of tools and such would I require? And if theres no other option how much do you think a shop would charge to do it?

How in depth of a tear down would it be? I have been trying to replace the pinion seal because I've had a leak. QUOTE]
A leaking pinion seal usually indicates a worn pinion bearing, which would indicate additional worn parts. A rebuild requires several specialized tools, best left to a pro shop ....... Be ready to drop $500.00 plus.

If it's not leaking to badly, or if there are no strange noises coming from the diff then just keep it topped off with lube and drive it........

Back