Update on trans pan gasket, maybe

polara10x500

Reaction score
Finally getting warmer in the day in TN but the rain and wind is kicking are *** here. Got the REAL GASKET TENNESSE on couple days ago and torqued up, I filled the tranny up today. She been dry as a bone for 7 hours and been looking good. Now some people say CLEAN AND DRY some say RTV the hell out of it, I've been RTV most of my 40 years fixing gaskets and had good luck. This is the first time I ever done a clean and dry gasket on a tranny pan. But I have say I had reservations about doing it this way even with this silicon gasket and low torque specs. I'm going downstairs to look again when I finish this post. Mind you I did clean and cleaned this tran and pan to perfect bolts and threads. Update is to fire up top off trans and look for leaks, Hoping this works first time. Thanks for all input and time to this thread.

On any reusable gasket like that, "dry, no sealer" keeps it reusable. Whether Chrysler or GM. Most of our GM techs wanted a new gasket if it'd been on there for a few years, though.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Well, its 10:45 am and she been sitting static and cold full of fluid for bout 18 hours or so. Pan and gasket is leak free. Going to fire up and warm her up and start looking, will have to add just a bit of fluid to top off and hope all is good. Ill report back later this evening.

I don't see why there seems to be such a hard time to install a leak free transmission pan and gasket.

Besides having the mating surfaces clean you have to check with a straight edge that the bolt holes are flat to the mating surface face. I use the steel rule that you can slip out of a carpenters combination square, works well.

I always use whatever gasket comes with the filter and never use any extra goop and torque to spec.

After two warm up cycles and topping off with fluid and back in the garage for the night it seems that this pan and gasket installation was a success. I have to say that its nicer to have a better pan than a factory steel pan. Cast aluminum with a drain plug is a nice option to have. Thanks to all on this thread. On to the next project!

Back