Drop Spindles from Firm Feel

I don't follow you. If these are new parts where they're relocating the axle shaft up on the spindle relative to the attachment points, i.e. keeping the top where the upper balljoint attaches and the lower holes where the lower balljoint/arm attaches in the same locations, then the balljoints aren't any closer together than stock.

There was someone that was selling a C-body disc conversion kit using B-body spindles, which would have had alignment problems such as you're describing.

Funny thing is, these look like drum spindles, not disc spindles. My guess is they expect you to use these in conjunction with someone's drum-to-disc conversion kit.

In looking for pictures of spindles I came across a helpful forum post where someone measured the dimensions of several Mopar spindles.

Using C-Body spindles on an E-Body ( and A-Body LCA's & Viper calipers) in Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

The dropped spindle moves the hub center 2" closer to the upper ball joint. The lower ball joint still attaches to the spindle in the same orientation to the hub center. The net difference between the ball joints is 2" less with the dropped spindles. I'm no chassis engineer but just lowering the car with the torsion bars can introduce problems with bump steer.

Now most of us will probably never notice it as we are not pushing the cars to their limits but the variance is still there and because of that I do not like it.

Alan

If you chop the spindle above the brake mounting, that will move the ball joints closer as the lower ball joint still mounts in the same location.
2014-09-13_009.jpg

Alan

Hmm, I didn't know they made those. With the price tag and the mentality of many Cbody owners towards lowering, I dont think those will sell that well. I love a lowered stance on a Boat myself, but I wouldn't sacrifice ride quality for it. That's just me though. Maybe you won't sacrifice much ride quality with those though. I don't know.

The dropped spindle moves the hub center 2" closer to the upper ball joint. The lower ball joint still attaches to the spindle in the same orientation to the hub center. The net difference between the ball joints is 2" less with the dropped spindles. I'm no chassis engineer but just lowering the car with the torsion bars can introduce problems with bump steer.

Now most of us will probably never notice it as we are not pushing the cars to their limits but the variance is still there and because of that I do not like it.

Alan
Does it say that these were made by shortening the top part of the spindle? To my thinking, all you want to do is move the wheel and brake caliper attachment points up relative to where the balljoints attach. That would retain the same overall height of the spindle, so no change to the suspension geometry. If these are brand new parts, as opposed to reworked old parts, then they should be able to do that.

Just eyeballing it from the pictures, it appears to me that the stub axle is further up from the mounting holes for the LBJ than it is on the stock spindle, the top arm looks shorter because they've made the main body taller to have somewhere to mount the brake hardware, and the overall height is the same as stock. Of course you'd have to call and ask FF to confirm that. :)

chrysler interchanged C body suspension/ brake parts with d150 and vans over the years---chrysler police cars routinely ran D100 truck brakes since 1957-----when i couldnt find 73 brakes for my 69 fury i went to the parts store and looked up all the upper and lower ball joints on close cars and trucks----i bought a 1972 D150 for the spindles and brakes---i even used the D150 upper control arm with the bigger ball joint-------i mocked up 4 different spindles and all were the same height----the D150 spindle needed a 1/2 to 9/16 spacer to lower control arm---i went with 9/16-------before i took the stock drum stuff off i marked the adjuster bolts with a paint marker------on reassembly i lined up the marks and tightened it down----the car drove perfect---took it to the alignment shop-----they made a small adjustment and said there was plenty of adjustment in the set up.......

chrysler interchanged C body suspension/ brake parts with d150 and vans over the years---chrysler police cars routinely ran D100 truck brakes since 1957-----when i couldnt find 73 brakes for my 69 fury i went to the parts store and looked up all the upper and lower ball joints on close cars and trucks----I bought a 1972 D150 for the spindles and brakes---i even used the D150 upper control arm with the bigger ball joint-------i mocked up 4 different spindles and all were the same height----the D150 spindle needed a 1/2 to 9/16 spacer to lower control arm---i went with 9/16-------before i took the stock drum stuff off i marked the adjuster bolts with a paint marker------on reassembly i lined up the marks and tightened it down----the car drove perfect---took it to the alignment shop-----they made a small adjustment and said there was plenty of adjustment in the set up.......

Keep in mind that a LOT of the 1972 D100/150 truck items are one-year-only bastard items! Tie rod ends come immediately to mind here. So early Lifestyle trucks (1972-1993 inclusive) certainly are not all-inclusive with interchangeability. Best source for that is still a Hollander interchange manual, that you'll tend to find only in a junkyard - you can't just go and buy one.

dont sweat the tie rod ends-----only the ball joints got bigger-----typically truck parts are used for 7 years or more----takes that long to pay back tooling costs----car parts change way faster because more of them get sold....i pulled the numbers at the parts store---they have it on the computer.....allpart had the police heavy duty information printed in plain english they even know chrysler used the truck van parts on c-bodies to cut costs ....

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understood that Mopars with torsion bar front suspension can be adjusted for ride height with the torsion bar adjustment bolts. Would this not be safer and also free?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understood that Mopars with torsion bar front suspension can be adjusted for ride height with the torsion bar adjustment bolts. Would this not be safer and also free?
Yes, but in my case there is no suspension travel left on the ride height i wanted, so drop spindles would correct this.

Yes, but in my case there is no suspension travel left on the ride height i wanted, so drop spindles would correct this.
Same here.
I've been talking to a guy at Firm Feel, and the ones they're showing now aren't going to work for me.
He said there were other people interested in a spindle that would accept Chrysler rotors.
The current ones don't. They use drum brake bearing specs and are made to use aftermarket rotors like the drum to disc kits use.
They are looking into getting a different spindle made to use Chrysler rotors. Keep your fingers crossed!

Back