Dumb PCV question

Here is the engine that I am putting together. Put back together pretty much just as I found it. I got the '68 300 from the owner that has had it from 1970. It was stored in a garage from 1983 till when I found it. From the condition of the engine when I broke it down, I can say that its all original - except for that replacement plated PCV valve that you see on the valve cover. Sounds like it was black originally.

This had the stove pipe and breather hose on the driver side valve cover (I painted it black, as original), an original grommet with this plated PCV valve on the passenger side valve cover. From all the chatter above, it sounds like I need the PCV cap painted black. Also, I have the heater hose bracket that was used to hold the hoses.

IMG_0838.jpeg

Last edited:
Obviously the slide-on PCV "cap" was an easy transition decision and prevented the need to re-tool/design a new valve cover for the rh side. The rubber grommet allows for a similar labor operation to install it and the PCV valve on the line at the engine plant.

The lh side oil filler cap/breather filter probably coincides with the natural windage in the crankcase to pull fresh air into the crankcase? Then the prior road draft tube on the rh side would remove it, later replaced with the pcv valve and its variable suction situation.

When the lh breather became "sealed" and then used a tube to the air cleaner housing for its fresh air source, that further decreased the possibility of any vapors from the crankcase readily getting into the engine compartment's ambient air. PLUS stopping the discoloration on the lh exhaust manifold from "drops" of residual engine oil in the open breather from hitting hitting the top of the lh exhaust manifold (when the engine was stopped for a period of time).

These changes usually track with the progression of emission control strategies of that era.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Obviously the slide-on PCV "cap" was an easy transition decision and prevented the need to re-tool/design a new valve cover for the rh side. The rubber grommet allows for a similar labor operation to install it and the PCV valve on the line at the engine plant.

The lh side oil filler cap/breather filter probably coincides with the natural windage in the crankcase to pull fresh air into the crankcase? Then the prior road draft tube on the rh side would remove it, later replaced with the pcv valve and its variable suction situation.

When the lh breather became "sealed" and then used a tube to the air cleaner housing for its fresh air source, that further decreased the possibility of any vapors from the crankcase readily getting into the engine compartment's ambient air. PLUS stopping the discoloration on the lh exhaust manifold from "drops" of residual engine oil in the open breather from hitting hitting the top of the lh exhaust manifold (when the engine was stopped for a period of time).

These changes usually track with the progression of emission control strategies of that era.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Transitioning from the old system to the new and keeping the PCV cap makes sense. I really could not see what the purpose was, as it does not seem to do anything functionally. Not too long after this, I suppose, the bean counters caught on and got rid of the cap and went to a cheaper (non threaded) PVC too.

From what I could tell, after we got the '66 Newport Town Sedan when the first'67s arrived, in TX where most Chryslers had factory a/c, the heater hose holder (upper piece) was not used or needed on '65+ C-bodies as the engine compartments were a good bit wider than the '64 and prior cars, so the heater hoses were routed to the rh fender skirt area on their way to the water valve on the firewall. I wondered what that unused bracket was for and looked in every Chrysler product road test I could find. Just something not needed on the 65+ C-body cars w/factory-installed a/c.

Chrysler typically used ONE item for many applications, back then. Which had less production-line complexity and therefore reduced production time/cost. Not to mention the related costs of cataloging and warehousing just one valve cover on the rh side for many years. "Adapt" rather than "replace", until necessary to replace for the "next-gen" part.

Don't forget the FSMs as a resource in researching these things.

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

Here is the engine that I am putting together. Put back together pretty much just as I found it. I got the '68 300 from the owner that has had it from 1970. It was stored in a garage from 1983 till when I found it. From the condition of the engine when I broke it down, I can say that its all original - except for that replacement plated PCV valve that you see on the valve cover. Sounds like it was black originally.

This had the stove pipe and breather hose on the driver side valve cover (I painted it black, as original), an original grommet with this plated PCV valve on the passenger side valve cover. From all the chatter above, it sounds like I need the PCV cap painted black. Also, I have the heater hose bracket that was used to hold the hoses.

View attachment 362563
your picture above looks correct.
Here is my ‘68 383. (Aug ‘67 build date)
Drivers side with oil breather vented to air cleaner. And passenger side with heater hose bracket and flush mount pvc.

70C05C4F-FC1B-4960-AB0B-4F8AAF11F79B.jpeg
F2AD07C8-17B6-4BF9-AD79-2031CF406555.jpeg

your picture above looks correct.
Here is my ‘68 383. (Aug ‘67 build date)
Drivers side with oil breather vented to air cleaner. And passenger side with heater hose bracket and flush mount pvc.

WAIT! HWYCRZR - are you saying that you are not supposed to have a cap over the PCV valve? Your's is how mine was when I found it, but I assumed that the cap was lost. The PCV valve is threaded for some reason - no?

Per what others are saying above the cap ont he passenger side that holds the pcv valve went away in ‘66. If your passenger side valve covers have the rubber grommet (almost flush) then the pvc goes directly into the valve cover. I have not seen any thing different for ‘68.
image.jpg

Here is the FSM. I assumed that the picture was lacking the cap just so the illustrator could show the valve. But, maybe the cap was never intended to be there. Thanks. Guess, it was hard for me to accept that a thread does not thread into anything.

IMG_0839.jpeg

I have always wondered about the threads as well. I wonder if the part was made to fit both applications. It would fit the new with the grommet, but would also fit the cap style. There is absolutely no need for a cap or cover on our style of valve covers.

The nut is on mine as well, but never used. One part fits most scenario.
As far as I am aware It has never been replaced. Didn’t have money in the 80’s to do it plus we had solvent tanks or raw gas to wash parts. Dad would have just taken it off, soaked it in gas and blown it out with air. If f he even worried about it.
It’s a simple one way valve. If you blow into it, it should seal. If you suck on it it should allow air through it. (And taste a little oily).

Back