Duplicolor Trunk paint questions

yorker78

Reaction score
I see the new duplicolor trunk paint is water resistant different than the old spatter DM102 that needed to be cleared. Yes I did see the comparison thread and the other trunk paint threads. My question is, are TSP101 and CDM102 the same? Trunk paint black and grey on the duplicolor site is TSP101. In the 2020 catalogue trunk paint black and grey is CDM102 showing the same can as on the site.
I have a can numbered CDM102 but with a different label that doesn't say water resistant. A quick google of CDM102 brings up the same labeled can that duplicor lists as TSP101 so I'm thinking they are the same just labels were changed first then the number. Just hoping what ive got is water resistant and that someone has some experience with this. Thank you.

Screenshot_20221217-135005.png

Screenshot_20221217-125808.png

IMG_20221217_104915057.jpg

IMG_20221217_104847381.jpg

Please tell us the year, make & model of your car as they changed in ‘69 or’70. Eastwood also has spatter paint.

(When did paint stop being water resistant?)

Was the need to "clear" the older trunk paint have to do with the fact that the "blobs" of color might be removed with wear, but under a coat of clear, they were more wear-resistant?

Just curious,
CBODY67

Please tell us the year, make & model of your car as they changed in ‘69 or’70. Eastwood also has spatter paint.
Its 78 new Yorker I'm not looking to match anything just finishing a quarter repair. I'm just wondering if these 2 numbers are the same product so I know if it's water resistant.

Was the need to "clear" the older trunk paint have to do with the fact that the "blobs" of color might be removed with wear, but under a coat of clear, they were more wear-resistant?

Just curious,
CBODY67
I would think it helps with wear too but I'm more worried about it actually wiping off after it gets wet. I've been reading all over about these sprays and found alot of people saying they needed to be cleared for that reason. Looking for the few threads about it on here and I did find one test Thread 'TRUNK SPATTER PAINT SIDE BY SIDE BY SIDE' TRUNK SPATTER PAINT SIDE BY SIDE BY SIDE

This is also where I read about it. One guy had success without sealing it even using the older product but others did not so I'm a little lost on that but here it is Thread 'TRUNK SPATTER PAINT' TRUNK SPATTER PAINT

Just curious,
CBODY67

In my opinion the new stuff is garbage, not even close to the original. The specks are to fine, to dense, no color, more specks than background.
I recently got GM ACDelco 1051499 and felt it best the original finish.

Alan

In my opinion the new stuff is garbage, not even close to the original. The specks are to fine, to dense, no color, more specks than background.
I recently got GM ACDelco 1051499 and felt it best the original finish.

Alan
Awesome I'll consider the delco product is it correct that it doesn't need clear or did you happen to test it? Also if you have some pics of the duplicolor that would be much appreciated

Awesome I'll consider the delco product is it correct that it doesn't need clear or did you happen to test it? Also if you have some pics of the duplicolor that would be much appreciated
It doesn't say anything about having to seal it. It does take a while to dry, I'd give it a week.

Alan

Back