E-body axles in a C-body housing?

sczuylevch

Reaction score
So i was just wondering if anyone had done it, put e-body axles in a C-body rear? I really want to upgrade to moser axles or some other performance axle, but off the shelf C-body axles arent the most common, yukon makes them but they have to be used with the GREEN bearings and thats good and all, for straight lines. But my build is gonna focus on handling, so i would prefer to use the factory style taperd bearings to better handle the extreme cornering forces. Now moser has an E-body axle that measures 29 31/32" witch is 0.96875 so i mean if you round up its 30"! I just dont know how that would affect setting the backlash on the factory style bearings, also would it have enough spline meat in the center section! Just didnt know if anyone did it, They do make cut to fit deals so i may go that route. any suggestions for some beefy axles that use the factory style bearings is what i'd like so any suggestions would help! thanks guys (and gals) in advance.
oh yeah btw the car is a 66 dodge monaco 500 with the fo-fo-tee for motorvation.

Not to open up a can of worms here since the topic has been discussed at length elsewhere, but the green bearings (snap ring style) are used on millions of cars on the road today. Several guys swear by them as an alternative to the tapered ones.

I changed my bearings out a few months back and after a bunch of research on the two types I decided to move to greens (from dr diff) and haven't had any problems. It's a semi-daily driver with the occasional burnout.

The tapered are certainly going to be stronger for extreme side loads and sound like the best route for your application.

The quality of the original steel forged axles in the 8 3/4 are some of the best out there today, the only real weakness you will find is in the end of it where the spline is on the 1964 to 1969 axles which step down behind the spline making for a thinner shaft there. With the 1970 and up axles this does not occur and are the best ones to have. If you get a set of Cbody axles from the later years and get them cut down to fit your axle housing you will have a very strong setup. I know a guy who used this same setup in a 1962 Dodge Dart full size car weighing 4400lbs with a 440 injected running avgas that would pull 10sec on the quarter and he never broke an axle.

fair enough! well i dont really need heavy duty axles yet but my seal just let loose so i'm going in there and i figured might as well do it once! 15 years ago i was all for green bearings then i read they arent as good for corners, and that they only last 5k miles. Since then i've kinda steered away from them. perhaps i should do some research on that. thanks guys!

I have green bearings in the Gremlin (8.75 rear we installed) and normal, factory style bearings in my Newport. Got to say, the Green bearings are a heck of a lot easier to work with.

i hear ya on the ease of the green bearings, thats what drew me in years ago! i was young and axle end play looked like black magic to me back then! lol. Not to change the subject but I LOVE gremlins! always wanted one, sure id have fitted it with a mopar small block if i had one! Whats done to yours snotty? id love to see it!

Do you really need an aftermarket axle? If you are more concerned about going around corners, then it sounds like you aren't drag racing. The axles are pretty beefy to begin with. I'm really not comfortable with the 1/16 total difference (both axles) either. It might work, but off hand, I wouldn't do it.

If you are spending the money for new axles, spend the extra few bucks and have them made to length. Do it once and do it right. Then there will be no issues down the road.

I don't like the green bearings either. That type of bearing is not meant to take any side load. I know people use them, but I've never been convinced of any benefit other than it eliminates the end play adjustment. YMMV.

i hear ya on the ease of the green bearings, thats what drew me in years ago! i was young and axle end play looked like black magic to me back then! lol. Not to change the subject but I LOVE gremlins! always wanted one, sure id have fitted it with a mopar small block if i had one! Whats done to yours snotty? id love to see it!
Hey, glad to oblige! No Mopar small block, but a built AMC 401. My Son and I did the work - it's his car. T-10, Mopar 8.75 3.23 sure grip rear.
20150711_105812.jpg
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_2590.JPG

Attachments

• 20150711_105752.jpg
    20150711_105752.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 35
Big John you make valid points! I plan on using the car as a multi tasker, i love drag racing its been in my blood for most of my life so the car will see the strip, the car may also see twin turbos! thats why i wanted to upgrade the axles now, to do it once and right. The reason i wanted to know if the E-body axles would work is because i wanted to have a set overnighted to me so i could make cruise weekend in ocean city, but now its too late so custom axles will be ordered at this point. The other side of me is the motorcycle, sports car side. My other car at the moment is a fiat 500 abarth and let me tell you its like a sport bike with 4 wheels, or a go kart so i love the twisties! and how cool would it be to do track days in a monaco and eat up some vettes!

Snotty I love your gremlin! i love more that its a stick, and retains an amc powerplant! nice freekin car! your son is lucky! I would not transplant a mopar motor in that! really glad to not see a chevy motor in there! there was a fast gremlin at the track last year, ran 8's twin turbo. when i got to finally see the motor i was sad to see the small block chevy under the hood! BORING!

the only picture of my car on the web so far! I have a bunch on my actual camera but my computer wont import them from the memory card. i emailed this one to myself from my old school flip phone! The patina is perfect and looks great in person IMO. i will not be restoring the body just preserving it the best i can! Most everything else though is a different story!

1008150719.jpg

well i decided to just replace my bearings so i could use the car this weekend and say eff the strong axles till i build the motor, but last night before i pressed the bearings on my buddy suggested we throw the axle in the lathe and polish up where the seals seal, and my pass side axle is bent! slightly but still!

Back