Early disc brake wheels, dog dish size?

nicksgarage

Reaction score
Do the 1966 and 1967 disc brake steel wheels accommodate the larger dog dish caps that were used on the cars back then? I know disc brake cars normally came with full wheel covers but I'm looking for some 15" wheels that will take the large dog dish caps and fit over disc brakes. I got wheels from A100 vans but the shape is wrong and hits the calipers.

They're for my '64 440 wagon that I have Chrysler Road Wheels on now but want to go back to the painted wheels and dog dish caps. I did a disc brake conversion on it.

Thanks, Nick

440_14.jpg

Best of my knowledge the big caps ended in 1965, at least for cars. My 67 disc wheels took the smaller caps, see pic. You can buy new or used 15" wheels that take the small caps & modify them with screws so that the large caps will fit, that's what I did. Of course you'd want to verify fitment with whatever disc setup you're using.

wheel 1.JPG
wheel 65.JPG

1966 cars use the caps like you show. Same cap as what my car came with but without the lines. I'll look into the screw thing.

Believe the large caps were used only on the 14" wheels, both 13 & 15 inch used the small caps. The exception might be trucks. Most just go with the newer style caps when converting to 15". I used 3 pan head screws on each wheel to secure the older caps.

I had a 64 Sweptline D100. 15" wheels and large caps (interestingly, the stock hubcaps are same as a 57 Plymouth).
Mark

My wheels are later 15", from 67 and 73. I have the standard 1966 Chrysler caps on them.

IMG_0526.jpg

I have a set of 15" that take the larger diameter hub cap. I think they are AMC wheels. I was told they are OEM Chrysler but have no identifying marks. They fit fine on my 62 Dodge and took the larger cap however, I had 4-wheel drum brakes. Don't know if they fit disc brake cars.

Back