ECU location

TNT440

Reaction score
Am I okay to mount ECU in this location with short self tappers? I think there is clearance behind but not positive. 67 Newport.

Thanks
20230502_173647.jpg

Looks like a good spot. Just make sure it's not a place that water drips from hood, maybe go a bit higher if it clears the torsion bar springs. You could also mount on inner fender to be farther from manifold heat. Make sure you have a really good ground.

Here is where I mounted mine in a 65 Fury. Just don't let the drill bit go too deep and more importantly clean the paint off around the screw hole and put a star washer between the ECU and firewall for grounding. Also, when it is mounted, test between Negative post on Battery and the case of the ECU with a digital Ohm meter making sure you get a .05 ohm or less reading. Lots of guys mount them and don't verify a good ground then complain of a bad ECU because it got hot and failed because it was not properly grounded. No one told me that back in the 90's when I installed mine. I had to learn the hard way.

Fury engine comp.JPG

Looks like a good spot. Just make sure it's not a place that water drips from hood, maybe go a bit higher if it clears the torsion bar springs. You could also mount on inner fender to be farther from manifold heat. Make sure you have a really good ground.
Thanks, I will move it up a little higher.

Here is where I mounted mine in a 65 Fury. Just don't let the drill bit go too deep and more importantly clean the paint off around the screw hole and put a star washer between the ECU and firewall for grounding. Also, when it is mounted, test between Negative post on Battery and the case of the ECU with a digital Ohm meter making sure you get a .05 ohm or less reading. Lots of guys mount them and don't verify a good ground then complain of a bad ECU because it got hot and failed because it was not properly grounded. No one told me that back in the 90's when I installed mine. I had to learn the hard way.

View attachment 594368
Thanks for the advice, star washers are a great idea. Testing will confirm.

basically where i have mine...the top of mine is level with the top of the bracket that supports the hood torsion rods...nothing back there the hvac box is basically all below the heater hoses

I've got factory AC so I've got the weird "double heater hose" configuration on the firewall, leaving not a lot of room. I mounted my ECU on the radiator support, just inward of the horns. My wiring harness drapes from the fender well over the exhaust manifold to the valve cover, and then to the distro, so I wrapped it in that fiberglass spark plug wire stuff to keep it all from melting. No issues so far.

Back