WANTED Edelbrock S.P.2P - that fits a 400 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Streetmasters have a flat spot.
Plenum design is too large.
Dual plane is best for the street.

I got confused...so I deleted my post.
Not a fan of the street master either. It would be marginally better than an SP2P
I don't ever remember an SP2P for a 383. I thought they made a 440 version for RV use at one time.

Uncle Tony is building a daily driver that gets great gas mileage and thats the intake manifold he recommends to use . I'm looking to get better gas mileage , right now I get 9.75 mpg .

Uncle Tony is building a daily driver that gets great gas mileage and thats the intake manifold he recommends to use . I'm looking to get better gas mileage , right now I get 9.75 mpg .

That intake he's talking about is for a small block, specifically 318's While Uncle Tony is considered an expert by many, the SP2P he's talking about has intake ports cast for 318 heads, which are smaller. I would bet that intake was on a 360, thus the over carbon. BTW SP2p stands for single plane two plane, supposedly giving you the specific rpm of a single plane with the response of a dual plane intake manifold. It did not go over well.
SP2P's when they came out were for Vans, trucks, and 4x4's fitted with the 318 2V. The manifolds were designed to operate from off idle to 4500 rpm, which would be within the stock valve train of a 318. The long but small runners were tuned for high vacuum signals and fuel efficiency. Yes you could put them on a car 318...

How do I know this? I put one on my now ex wifes' 318 in her '73 Satellite Sebring Plus. I used a 450 Edelbrock carb. The motor would start quickly and had lots of low end power. But the carb and manifold were done at around 4k By 4500 rpm the motor was peaked and wouldn't go further. This was good since she seldom drove the car hard. Mileage with 3:21 gears was in the upper teens to low 20's.

You can't buy an SP2P for a 383 or Low block big block. It was never produced. Sorry!
Edelbrock made the Streetmaster which was their "street" offering. It flopped much like the small block version.
I agree that a dual plane, any dual plane would work well. One of the things to avoid is over carbing your 400. I would run a 600 cfm carb with vacuum secondaries or air valve secondaries. I put a 600 cfm Holley on a cast 4bbl intake from a Roadrunner on a 77 Dodge Van with a 400. Mileage and power were night and day. Much better than that crappy 2bbl!

Thank you @dart4forte for re triggering an old man's memory :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You are best off buying an Edelbrock 383 Performer. Fits the 400.
That's what I have on my 383 and along with my engine set up it works great!!

Unless you are romping on it all the time. Excessive idle time like a half hour at at time. Engine smokes like a pig with burnt valves. There is no reason for such crappy mileage. My Challenger with a 8.43:1 compression a 284/ .484 Mopar cam still gets 13.8 mpg on highway with 3.23 gears an little 215/70r14 tires.
Taller rear gear and larger diameter tire will surely net 15 mpg pretty easy. You have tuning issues, or carburetor issues. The S.P.D.P Eddy he is talking about as mentioned above is small port dual plane, for 318 intake ports. All big blocks share the same port size no matter the casting number. A stock 4bbl intake is a good piece. The Eddy performer is a good piece and in aluminum, saves a couple of pounds and keeps air charge cooler.
If your carb on there now is a stock Holley 2 BBL you need to remove it and get rid of it, it will never work right.
You need to determine the health of your engine and get the timing right your mileage will improve.

I agree with 70bigblockdodge: sounds like you have a carb issue. Too big a carb. Way too big.

Yeah I have the stock 2 barrel on a 400 . Its a 1973 Polara . It runs great , I just drive it around town and to the store . And it gets 9.75 mpg !

So just get a 4 barrel and start from there ?

That manifold isn't going to solve the mileage issue.

Around town, you aren't going to get very good mileage, but it should be better than that as it sits. IMHO, there's some other issue that's giving you a poor gas mileage condition. Please don't fall into the trap of throwing parts at it, wasting money etc. I'll bet Uncle Tony would tell you to get the car running right first before anything else.

Yeah I have the stock 2 barrel on a 400 . Its a 1973 Polara . It runs great , I just drive it around town and to the store . And it gets 9.75 mpg !

So just get a 4 barrel and start from there ?
Ok, if it seems to run great, not acting up on hot starts or stalling because of flooding, I would look at ignition timing. Disregard the specs on the fenderwell, gas mileage was not listed or a big deal in your cars design era. However emissions were becoming front and center attention, with that in mind the specs on your fenderwell are very conservative.
IMO I would tune it with a vacuum guage, you can buy one cheap and/rent for free at the big auto parts stores.
You want highest vacuum possible, both timing and idle circuit. I think UTG did a video on this, and there are numerous ones on You Tube. If the car runs okay I would see how well you can get it running before you make the switch to a 4 bbl, I misunderstood and thought you were making it already. Those stock style Holley 2 bbl are ok, but once you have a problem with them they can become not worth the hassle.
Bottom line is play around advancing the timing and carburetor settings to get it to run better, also make sure your vacuum and mechanical advance mechanisms are working properly, inoperable on either will cost mileage. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back