Eisenhower Cadillac damaged in accident

Probably on an open trailer because it is so heavy. That car was armored, in fact you can see a gun port and the configuration of the flat windshield, so I would expect the car to be 10k pounds at least... maybe a lot more. Finding an enclosed trailer to handle that weight and fit the car width might be tough in Europe... I don't know.

Of course, that brings up if the whole rig (truck and trailer) were up for the job. I would expect a gooseneck trailer and a dually truck to haul a very heavy and very expensive car around.
I haven't seen an adequate tow vehicle in any of the video's or pictures. That narrow and tall trailer doesn't appear to be right for the job either... just counting the lug nuts convinces me it's axles are not weight rated for this, and I'd have expected a little more meat(steel) at the tongue. I would bet on the insurance carrier bailing out on this accident, at least in the USA. IDK how hard Germany would handle this, but I'd be expecting some overweight tickets and full responsibility for the cleanup to fall on the tow vehicle driver/owner.

I am living near that Museum. I've been there multiple times but especially the presentation of this car has been a constant pet peeve for decades. Free entrance for the guy who hints to the reason why. :poke:

View attachment 174470
The number plate says Hemi.
The Cadillac should've been transported on a tilt tray, not on a trailer.

Agreed, tow vehicle completely inadequate for this job.

From the video description:

The vintage car is a Cadillac Fleetwood Presidential Sedan, built in 1950 and is armored and the original and unique copy. The vehicle came with trailer on the side to a halt. The vehicle owner Mr. Weiß and his son Jonas reported locally: They picked up the Cadillac from the Technikmuseum Sinsheim, where he had already been standing for 6 years. They bought the vehicle very expensive and wanted to transport it home to Offenburg. There they wanted to polish it up and then rent it for wedding trips and events. The prominent vintage car is now but scrap. The two of them are in tears when they realize the extent of the accident. The Cadillac has been badly damaged. In the accident, the driver of the Dacia was seriously injured and had to be transported to a clinic with the rescue service and the ambulance.

From a strictly insurance point of view, it may be a total. I don't know, that was the video posters description. It would be criminal if it was scrapped.

More from the description:

The towing service came with recovery vehicles and special tools to recover the vehicles. The recovery of the Cadillac proved to be difficult. The vehicle had to be lifted with two cranes and put on the wheels. Subsequently, the accident wrecks could be removed. The two owners of the classic car now hope that the accident damage can be repaired.

With the rigt amount of money I imagine e it could be repaired. Just needs to be protected from any one who would put that very heavy car on a glorified utility trailer being hauled by a light duty truck.

The number plate says Hemi.
The Cadillac should've been transported on a tilt tray, not on a trailer.

I think we have a winner. The description next to the car also refers to a Hemi engine in this letter car for decades. There are a couple more Errors especially with the US exhibits in this Museum.

From a strictly insurance point of view, it may be a total. I don't know, that was the video posters description. It would be criminal if it was scrapped.

More from the description:

The towing service came with recovery vehicles and special tools to recover the vehicles. The recovery of the Cadillac proved to be difficult. The vehicle had to be lifted with two cranes and put on the wheels. Subsequently, the accident wrecks could be removed. The two owners of the classic car now hope that the accident damage can be repaired.
With the rigt amount of money I imagine e it could be repaired. Just needs to be protected from any one who would put that very heavy car on a glorified utility trailer being hauled by a light duty truck.
It's fixable, and I'm sure will be expensive... but she will never be original again for the purists who care. I'm guessing the owners may have a six figure loss on this, depending on how nice their insurance company plays. As I said earlier, I'd be surprised if the insurance company covered any of the Cadillac's damages with the coverage of the accident making the towing deficiencies so obvious.

How much damage could there be? Looks like sheet metal damage only. None of the glass cracked or broke and the car is still strapped to the trailer when it came to a stop.

It's fixable, and I'm sure will be expensive... but she will never be original again for the purists who care.

I think that ship sailed long ago. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I see rust and bondo...

IMG_20180319_060451.png

I've been googling trying to find out some history on this car and haven't found anything.

There were some Caddy limos that were used, but I haven't found any that matches this car exactly. The closest I found have different rear window configurations like this '55.
1955-Cadillac-presidential-limo.jpg

Hess & Eisenhardt Eisenhower 1955 Cadillac offered at auction - Old Cars Weekly

This car just has some ties to Ike. Still a lot different.
1-IMG_3585-final-1.jpg

POTUS Eisenhower Limo to be Sold "No Reserve" at Mecum | Chicago Car Club - The Nation's premier buyer of classic cars!

Same car.
1952 Cadillac Fleetwood Built For President Dwight Eisenhower Sold For A Measly $55,000

Some other presidential Caddys:
A Pictorial History of Presidential Rides - Generations of GM

I don't think this was a White House car. I don't believe that they would be available for sale after that... much less end up in a foreign country. I'd really like to know what the history is.

Some more on the white topped IKE Caddy. Note that it is not armored. The glass and doors are too thin.

I think the crashed limo is a '54 model.

I was about to do some search as well as I also wanted to check on These Facts, but I'm a bit busy at the house. The German article mentioned this car was given by Eisenhower to the President of Bolivia Viktor Paz Estenssoro who later survived an attack in this car with glass Surface damage by bullets still visible supposedly in 1955. Probably more to be found with that Person if the Story is legit. I suspect if any use as US presidential limo it was very limited and disappeared from the Surface by taking its way to Bolivia and then to the German Museum.
It was sold and on ist way to the new owner now who wanted to cash in on it by renting it to wedding parties.

Last edited:
I was about to do some search as well as I also wanted to check on These Facts, but I'm a bit busy at the house. The German article mentioned this car was given by Eisenhower to the President of Bolivia Viktor Paz Estenssoro who later survived an attack in this car with glass Surface damage by bullets still visible supposedly in 1955. Probably more to be found with that Person if the Story is legit. I suspect if any use as US presidential limo it was very limited and disappeared from the Surface by taking its way to Bolivia and then to the German Museum.
It was sold and on ist way to the new owner now who wanted to cash in on it by renting it to wedding parties.
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/cadillac/fleetwood/2083885.html

1954 Cadillac Fleetwood Imperial Limousine | Coys of Kensington

Somehow, I'm thinking that this car would be worth a lot more than 30-40K Euros or $50k. I would expect that any old '54 Caddy limo would fetch that price, but if the IKE story was true and that it was a Presidential limo, it would not surprise me to see it go up 10X that estimated price.

I haven't found what it sold for yet...

Back