Electronic conversion question

Darrell

Reaction score
My 65 New Yorker was converted to electronic ignition by the previous owner. The problem is he wired a toggle switch to the ignition to supply 12v when cranking. I would prefer to not have a toggle switch but I can't find a wire that has 12v at both cranking and run positions. Everything I find is either hot cranking or run, not both. What is the trick here? My distributor is a 2 wire with an internal module.

Thanks!

This will give you a service manual with a wiring diagram: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

There should be two wires coming from the ignition switch. One is "run" and the other is "start". In the later cars, these are blue (run) and brown (start), but I don't know with your 65.

That is how mine is. Blue is run and brown is start. The problem is I need one that is hot during start and run. Just one or the other won't work.

Page10-1.jpg

The "R" should be blue and the "S" should be brown.

That is how mine is. Blue is run and brown is start. The problem is I need one that is hot during start and run. Just one or the other won't work.
On mine we simply used a spare ballast resistor and shunted it internally to have full voltage all the time.

Just splice the brown and blue wires together.
That will give you 12 volts on start or run.

Back