Engine block plugs

superfragl

Reaction score
Last night I started working on the 440 for my Fury. It is a 74 block. I took it apart about a year ago and now can not remember where does one pipe plug go.
There are 4 short oil plugs (2 on the back and 2 on the front), 2 water drain plugs on the sides and this one...
63470-41d898dca6c223157ec8ccb2d1102ac5.jpg

The thread size is the same as the oil plugs have. It was definitely on the outside because it had some paint on it.
Please help.
This is my 2 year old helping me with the build ))
63471-78a152f64bbeafd87bdf15b80f708f1a.jpg

20160126_084340.jpg

111.jpg

Nope, I have the fuel pump rod in a separate bag with the plug...

Look around the cam opening at the front of the block, I recall my builder pointing one out that is sometimes missed (just don't recall where).

Alan

I will have to check tonight. I do not remember removing any plugs off the water pump though.. I think the temp sensor is on the other side of the pump I have.

Around the cam opening I installed two short plugs.. and this plug was an external one since it had paint on it and was very dirty... Perhaps I am getting older )

The only ones I recall having a hex head (or square) and not a socket head were the ones on the side of the block, seen next to the freeze plug in the middle.
2014-08-16_003.jpg

Alan

That is possible. I has been a year since I took it apart. I will be checking tonight.

Under the cam gear, visible from the bottom.

Lot's of people miss that one....

Yep, installed that one and another one near the cam (it is recessed a bit)

Took a couple pics last night.
View attachment 70334 View attachment 70335 View attachment 70336 View attachment 70337
The plug on the water pump is bigger than the one in question.
Looks like all plugs are in place.
Then I found this
Bill Rolik Enterprises - N.O.S., Reproduction, and Replacement Chrysler Parts
I realized that I took this plug off a 383 intake I had in spare parts.
Commando, thanks for the tip!

I know you have figured it out, but just as an aside, on mine, the larger plug you have is occupied by the "hot/cold" sending unit, and the smaller one was used for the electric temperature guage.

Here, on the water pump where I have my temperature guage?

View attachment 70304

Back