Engine Fire

It was a super hot day 95 degrees + and I was welding a small piece underneath on the frame and the rear carpet caught fire. My convertible top was 1 week old and ruined of course. I was careless and paid dearly for it. The attached pic is how she is today.
John

fury int a&b dated.jpg

Glad to see the damage was held to a minimum! I read all the replies & stories, & no one mentioned that it's a great idea to equip your treasured ride with a FIRE EXTINGUISHER! I have one in all the vehicles in my stable. Pretty cheap insurance!

Yes Slim this is good advice. My cars now have fire extinguishers. I have also gained a great respect for fire since this happened. It only takes seconds for it to get out of control.
John

Sound advice about the ethanol gas. I was told by a couple of local guys to me to try and find gas that doesn’t have any ethanol in it. Fortunately, Shell 91 and Canadian Tire 91 doesn’t have ethanol in it. It costs more but if it’ll help protect the fuel system, I’m all for it.
Cost a lot less long term to buy EFI rated hose and replace all of it in the fuel system. You really only need 2-3 feet of it. Can be done in an hour or so. I can only think of 4 places there is rubber hose: at the tank, subframe connection, fuel pump and carb.

Had a bit of a scare this afternoon. I took my steel lady out for a cruise and when I returned home, I saw smoke coming through the grill and thought, "That's odd!"

I opened the hood and had a small fire under the air cleaner in front of the carb. Luckily, the FD is literally up the road and they were here in two minutes, and were able to put it out in short order. It wasn't a huge fire, but enough to be scary. Turned out a fuel hose developed a leak and sprayed gas on the intake.

I'm thinking new coil, probably a few new plug wires (and these probably had less than 100 miles on them from a recent tune up), carb gasket, maybe intake manifold gasket, of course new fuel hoses and hopefully the carb itself is okay. And I think my insurance covers it. Just may take awhile to get it fixed.

What else should I look out for / tell the adjuster? I'm not sure they're all classic car experts. I don't want to con the guy; that's not me; but I don't want to get screwed either.
View attachment 544710View attachment 544711View attachment 544712View attachment 544713View attachment 544714View attachment 544715View attachment 544716View attachment 544717

I don't know if you have fixed your fuel line issue yet, but I think this is the line kit you need:

Fuel Line, Pump To Carb, 383 / 440 Afb Carb - #H-3002-14A - National Parts Depot

Back