Engine ID

Boyd

Reaction score
I know this is not the first time this has been ask, but I have been told that I have a 1969 440 block in my 65 Chrysler New Yorker. That said, I would like to know where that engine came from. The number is 7T440E. The number on the water pump housing is 3698468.
We are having a time aligning the alternator so the belts will not come off. I need to order some parts from Bouchillon and it sure would help if I could source my engine. Any help would be appreciated.

Mis-matched brackets and block? Pictures?

CBODY67

I bought a 66 Fury project that came with a 383/TF 727 that was in a mid 70's Mopar of some description. I examined the block and found a casting date on the block 7-12-68.

Whoever had installed this in the mid 70's car swapped the entire front dress onto the 383 including the water pump housing. My Fury had a 440 some time previous to my ownership of it, and still had the power steering pump in the car. I couldn't get it to line up with anything on the front of the 383. the water pump housing on my 383 is a passenger lower outlet casting number is 3698468 same as yours.

I ordered an aluminum WP housing from 440 source, along with the alt brackets, lower pulley and now it all lines up perfectly and looks a lot better than the way the giant 70's alt was mounted. The power steering now lines up and bolts up better too.

I wanted to thank you all for your input. This has been a problem for a month now. I believe that the solution is in the mail. For C-bodies is my go to place when I get into a jam. Thank you again for your timely leads and solutions.

So, is there anyplace to find out what kind and year of vehicle would have a 440 made in Trenton with a cast iron crank in 1977?

So, is there anyplace to find out what kind and year of vehicle would have a 440 made in Trenton with a cast iron crank in 1977?

The options will be pretty limited as by '77 the applications for a 440 were pretty small. The engine ID indicates a passenger car meaning it likely came from a full size C body. Look for the engine VIN on the passengers side of the block , about 1/3 of the way back. That will tell you the plant and that will narrow down the possibilities. From there, we can look at the sequence number to possibly help determine more info.

FWIW...from '78 applies to '77 also...
78_Engine_Decode_800.jpg

The options will be pretty limited as by '77 the applications for a 440 were pretty small. The engine ID indicates a passenger car meaning it likely came from a full size C body. Look for the engine VIN on the passengers side of the block , about 1/3 of the way back. That will tell you the plant and that will narrow down the possibilities. From there, we can look at the sequence number to possibly help determine more info.

FWIW...from '78 applies to '77 also...
View attachment 364024
The plant was Trenton!

I believe 440's were winding down. Aside from the usual cast of characters, C-bodies and B-body Cop Cars, chances are it could've come from a motor home. Seen that a lot because you could buy the whole thing cheaper than an engine and usually very low mileage. Dodge still made motor home chassis with the 440 through '78.

The plant was Trenton!

The engine was assembled at the Trenton plant then shipped to the assembly plant that put it in a car. The car assembly plant will be indicated by the VIN stamped on the block. Once we know the plant, then we can narrow down the make and models possible.

Back