Engine Noise

Ideally, the camshaft should be replaced along with the lifters.
And ideally, a new timing chain, and, and...... LOL

Sometimes you can "get away" with a couple new lifters, probably safer than replacing them all.

Will be interesting to see how the new lifters played with the old cam.

When my buddies and I were in high school going to the drag strip every weekend, I got a new cam for my 68 Fury with a 383 4 BBL. One of my buddies had 383 2 bbl motor, and wanted the hotter cam to try in his car. So, like the nitwit kids we were, we swapped in the new cam, didn't know anything about keeping the lifters in order.
He ran that cam a couple months until he spun a bearing.

We then took the cam out, threw the lifters in a bucket of oil, and stabbed it back in another 383-2 bbl, where it ran fine for a year or so and he sold the car.

Hopefully this sin't the case for the OP, will be watching to see what it is. Good luck!

Could the issue be a blown exhaust manifold gasket? That produces a ticking sound.

In terms of the lifters, did you properly break them in with the molly lube? Or did you just install them and run them?

Problem discovered! Listened to the lifters through the valve covers using an iron bar. The noise was coming from the lifter(s) on the right bank (drivers side). I pulled the valve covers and discovered the back lifters were hitting a shield inside the valve cover which was bent. New one on me. Shield is still attached to the cover inside but dented up and numerous marks on were lifter was hitting valve cover. Shield is to protect oil from hose for breather hose. The valve cover has been on the car for 25 years (aside from lifter replacement several years ago) so it is very puzzling? Put valve cover back on and noise resumed. Strange? Ideas?
IMG_4928.JPG
IMG_4929.JPG
See pictures

Could the issue be a blown exhaust manifold gasket? That produces a ticking sound.

In terms of the lifters, did you properly break them in with the molly lube? Or did you just install them and run them?

Or a cracked manifold.

Back