Engine rebuild

Header's can facilitate other high RPM mods that won't work without the headers. Usually making for a high stung motor that's no fun to drive.
I don't use them on a sub 6 grand motor. Except my blown 572 v-drive boat.

Header's can facilitate other high RPM mods that won't work without the headers. Usually making for a high stung motor that's no fun to drive.
I don't use them on a sub 6 grand motor. Except my blown 572 v-drive boat.
Everything is better in ‘murica. We even have a speedlimit of 3mph on water

My son wanted a project car so we got a '67 Fury; it needed many things due to age, wear or lack of past craftsmanship. Of the many tasks so far that I undertook, I would like to share a before and after of the engine. Just as a note...the manifolds look the same after months of the engine running without any fading, peeling. All paint I used was normal spray can, the prep is the most critical.

Fury before.jpg

Fury after.jpg

318 after.jpg

318.jpg

The 318 is a great little motor with the older ones even having 9:1 compression which really helps fuel economy and torque compared to 73 up which would barley make 8:1. An Edelbrock Performer with a small 600 CFM would be fine. The stock Chrysler electronic ignition is fine and not expensive conversion to make. The stock factory 340 grind cam is about all you want for this engine. It can actually give a mileage boost as well as torque increase. Having hardened exhaust seats installed is a must for lead free gas. After 60 years of working on cars for a living the only thing I can say about headers is that you really have to like constantly changing burnt spark plug wires (and burnt fingers, and wrists, and fore arms etc, just ask me how I know this). When you rebuild an engine with flat tappets remember to use an oil with ZDDP (zinc) in it. This prevents lifter and cam lobe failure. All oil used to have this in it but now only the specialty hot rod oils do or you have to buy as an additive. Very critical for cam break in at start up. In the past I spent several years as the Technical Manager of a large engine engine remanufacturer saw a lot of this happen. Flat tappet takes on a whole new meaning when a cam lobe is no longer a lobe but a circle and the lifter bottom is concave with a hole worn right through it. A quicker advance curve is a must, Chrysler used to sell a quick curve advance kit that was about $10.00 that was perfect. Keep the vacuum advance and if you decide to change gearing the best that mopar ever had for the street was 3.23. going more than that will increase acceleration but hurt fuel economy. I had 72 340 Challenger that with a little carb tuning and the spring kit that would leave a 350 Camaro in the dust and still give 25 miles to the Imperial gallon at a cruise speed of 75 mph. You just gotta love that Big Carter Thermoquad spread bore that came on these cars. But enough of that for now, you really have to determine what is causing your current problem first other wise you just might end up putting that same problem right back on to your new engine.
Possibilities? Compression test should 125 on that old engine with a variation of no more 10 to 15 from cylinder to cylinder. Under 90 in a cylinder and it probably won't ignite properly especially with a load on it. Ignition ( cap, rotor, wires, worn out distributor bushings or lobes for the points, bad points or condensor, coil, low voltage, charging system problems, corroded or blackened battery cables and terminals, poor electrical connection at the bulkhead connector or on the back of the ammeter. Carb problems, accelerator pump, plugged air bleeds, stuck power piston, could be a lean condition at mid throttle. How badly is your timing chain worn? Put a socket and a long handled ratchet on the crankshaft bolt, line up your timing mark to zero and remove your dist cap. Then turn the engine clock wise until you see the rotor move. Now slowly turn it counter clockwise until the just starts to move in the opposite direction. How many degrees do you see between the first stop and the second one. 5 degrees will affect drivability, 10 degrees is on the verge of throwing the timing chain. Any more than that count it as pure luck your not sitting on the side of the road somewhere waiting for a tow home. I have seen a 318 that still ran ( very poorly but made it into the shop) with the nylon teeth completely gone from the cam gear and just on the aluminum gear itself. I guess there really is such things as miracles.
My philosophy over the years has always that a car must be safe, reliable and fun. Once a small block goes over about 350 HP it starts be a chore to drive daily, costs a lot of fuel and the price of reaching those higher numbers goes up like rocket headed for the moon. Yes I have 500 plus engines in both small blocks and big blocks but the owners had deep pockets. If you want to see how expensive it can get check out Nick's Garage on You Tube. He has over 50 years experience building Mopar engines and at the moment is putting together a 541 cubic inch Hemi for a customer with all new parts including an aftermarket race block , stroker crank rods etc the parts to date are $35,000 with no carbs yet, and no custom pushrods for the roller rockers and whole load of other stuff.

I am currently doing up a 440 for my 67 Newport Convertible and roughly following the factory 440 TNT specs but with a slightly milder cam and lowering the compression from 10.3:1 to 9.3:1 so I can run regular gas instead of premium. Should come in between 350 and 375 HP and I am changing gears to 3.23 and taking out the 2.72s that are in it now.

More than enough for now. Let us all know what you find out and what you decide to do.

Use the 340 HP exhaust manifolds. Better flow, no leaks, no rust out issues.

If you want good power on the cheap, get a 5.2L Magnum long block
Jam an Eddy intake and carb on it, shorty headers, ekectronic ignition.
Use your timing cover to run the mechznical fuel pump.
Even your 68 valve covers will fit!
Being a heavy car, an RV cam will give lots of torque to get moving
The Magnums have roller lifters, better heads overall and xan providedecent MPG.

Back