Engine run stand questions

jake

Reaction score
I am looking at breaking in my engine in about a month or so. I will be doing it on a run stand that I built, so this is the first motor I broke in outside the car. I plan on using a smoke machine to make sure no vacuum leaks, prime the oil before start up and etc... My question is about the torque converter. Being that the flywheel is on it, can I run it on there with no fluid in it? I assume that would be fine as the transmission is not hooked up to it. Other then a safety issue, do I need the bellhousing? TIA
Jake

I would not run the engine with a torque converter you care about on it. The innards are loose in there with no shaft to hold them, and no fluid to stabilize them. The out of balance would not be too bad if it was a converter you did not want to use.
Really should use a manual trans flywheel. That way you would have weight, nothing loose inside and the teeth you need for starter motor.

I am looking at breaking in my engine in about a month or so. I will be doing it on a run stand that I built, so this is the first motor I broke in outside the car. I plan on using a smoke machine to make sure no vacuum leaks, prime the oil before start up and etc... My question is about the torque converter. Being that the flywheel is on it, can I run it on there with no fluid in it? I assume that would be fine as the transmission is not hooked up to it. Other then a safety issue, do I need the bellhousing? TIA
Jake

Unless you are trying to earn a Darwin award, not a good idea. The internals of the convertor are not supported if the transmission is not attached. They run on the input shafts for the transmission. This might well trash the unit and send pieces flying at high RPMs. At best the unit will be damaged and have metal shavings inside to where it would not be usable and you will have a severe vibration issue running up the engine due to the internals of the convertor running off center.

Dave

How will you mount a starter to the engine. It bolts to a trans case or bellhousing.

When i break in engines on run stand I use 4 speed bell housing and old flywheels balanced accordingly.

IMG_2613.JPG

Looks like the guy's have your questions covered, like it was mentioned above you will need a manual trans bellhousing and flywheel.
I had a customer with a Cuda that had a engine vibration and I pulled the auto trans, put in a manual flywheel and bellhousing so we could isolate the vibration. Not as easy as a GM where you can just unbolt the torque converter.

Curious as to why the our-of-car initial run time? If you built the engine right, no need to make adjustments, usually?

What sort of cooling system will you be using? External fan and fuel pump? Electrical supply? Sounds like a good bit of expense for just one engine. BTAIM

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Curious as to why the our-of-car initial run time? If you built the engine right, no need to make adjustments, usually?

What sort of cooling system will you be using? External fan and fuel pump? Electrical supply? Sounds like a good bit of expense for just one engine. BTAIM

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Because I have redone all the wiring in the car. I want to focus on just the engine when I first fire it up and not electrical issues.

I think I will pull the trans real quick and put it on the motor for the break in. Probably the easiest solution. Thanks everyone.

Back