Ever see brake booster like this?

Rusty Muffler

Reaction score
The odd brake noise was actually coming from an air inlet on this booster. Says Bendix Aircraft Corp on it. The inlet has a sort of coarse brill fabric under a screen with a snap ring. The sound would come from it intermittently when at a complete stop. It sounded like metal to metal but couldn't be. I haven't found any info on this and there's nothing in the FSM. They list a Bendix rebuild kit on Ebay but doesn'
IMG_20240323_100229046.jpg
IMG_20240323_100253281.jpg
IMG_20240323_100200153.jpg
t look right and is $275. for about 4 gaskets.

IMG_20240323_100141079.jpg

Interesting, I've never seen one like that. Definitely not stock. Looks like an aftermarket "after master cylinder booster". Probably an easier option back then compared to installing a traditional stock type booster. I doubt parts are available. Probably best to ditch it and go back to manual, or go the stock route. Now would be a good time to install a dual pot master cylinder.

That looks like a HydraVac type unit from something European. They didn't call it Power Brakes over there, it was Servo Assist or something.

What is it on?

Kevin
Your right, just found one from a cadillac that is a close match. Don't think it's european though

Is it operating well but you have noticed the sound? I would pull that spring clip and clean out that screen, won't hurt and could probably use it after all these years.

Looks like there's a grease port on the unit itself and the fitting leading to it. That fitting is likely a backflow valve which may make a metallic sound. Try greasing it (if you haven't) and see if it persists. Could be just that valve that needs replacement.

Is it operating well but you have noticed the sound? I would pull that spring clip and clean out that screen, won't hurt and could probably use it after all these years.

Looks like there's a grease port on the unit itself and the fitting leading to it. That fitting is likely a backflow valve which may make a metallic sound. Try greasing it (if you haven't) and see if it persists. Could be just that valve that needs replacement.
Mmm, I'll look again but I thought that was a bleeder?

did a resto on a 1940 Diamond T pickup that had one of those...DO NOT send it to Power Brake Xchange in Pittsburg...the master they did came back full of rust and glass beads (i pulled it apart to flush it cause customer requested silicone fluid and couldn't believe how bad it was)...the paint had peeled off the booster so sent it back and asked them to disassemble and flush and put it back together with silicone fluid... and said i'd pay for it...it came back no charge with a fresh runny coat of enamel that was also bubbled and peeling off cause they obviously still had dot 3 in it...end result the truck went together with a new compatible International master from Napa, manual brakes, and the booster and original master handed to the customer (mechanic) like, here, you deal with them....

Back