Ever see brake booster like this?

Dangdest thing I ever saw! Reminded me of some 70's hydraulic brake systems used.

The booster in question is a Bendix universal remote booster. These were used to add power brakes to applications where space was at a premium. The were also found on mid 50's GM products, both cars and light trucks as noted. Also used on many stick shift cars where things like clutch or shift linkages were in the way. Chrysler used them on cross ram cars where power brakes were ordered. (Mounted inside the driver side fender well.) In short these were a pretty common booster in years past. Booster Steve at power brake booster exchange in Lynnwood WA has parts for these. www.powerbrakeboosterexchange.com I would just ship them the unit for rebuild as they are tricky to set up properly.

Dave

Last edited:
Mercedes used them: 180, 190, 219, 220S and 220SE. No Diesels. 45 years ago my daily driver was a '58 220S sedan. I got the kit from the Mercedes dealer, took it apart, replaced all the parts including the diaphragm, put it back together and didn't use the tube of lube that was in the kit. When I fired it up the diaphragm bound up and bent the shaft it was on. The cute SST/chromed shaft was never available as a spare part and I had to buy another booster. That one worked fine so I didn't bother rebuilding it!

The odd brake noise was actually coming from an air inlet on this booster. Says Bendix Aircraft Corp on it. The inlet has a sort of coarse brill fabric under a screen with a snap ring. The sound would come from it intermittently when at a complete stop. It sounded like metal to metal but couldn't be. I haven't found any info on this and there's nothing in the FSM. They list a Bendix rebuild kit on Ebay but doesn'View attachment 651662View attachment 651661View attachment 651660t look right and is $275. for about 4 gaskets.

View attachment 651659
This type of booster was used a lot in the early '60s by Chrysler because it could be mounted anywhere, and as you can see it pushes the fluid itself and not the brake pedal. It's also commonly used on school buses that don't have air brakes.

That looks like a HydraVac type unit from something European. They didn't call it Power Brakes over there, it was Servo Assist or something.

What is it on?

Kevin
I worked on a lot of those back in the late sixties/early seventies. Quick way to put power brakes into your pick-up truck.

Something to consider is the car came with manual brakes, so I tried disconnecting the vacuum source, and it wasn't that much harder to brake. So if you have younger legs, it should be no problem removing this device to save $. I just wonder when this was added?

Crazy looking contraption. Just be careful it's not a high pressure device. I don't see the accumulater ball on it so you're probably ok. I had an experience with a high pressure Volkswagen. Lesson I never forgot.

Back