Exhaust fitment for 'Elwood'

Reaction score
I am planning to procure and install a new exhaust in 'Elwood', my 1968 Fury II Sedan.

The existing exhaust is falling apart.

I have gleaned from this forum (thank you all) that I need a Sanderson DD7-P header set, remflex gaskets (header to cylinder head and collector gaskets), a complete exhaust system from TTI. What I am missing is how to connect the headers to the exhaust and what the best way to hang the system.

Any advise on where to peruse for these remaining items...

Elwood-2019.jpeg

What motor are you running? 318? 383?
Stock? Mild? Modified?
If stock dont bother with headers. TTi makes a system that bolts directly to stock manifolds and you can hang the exhaust yourself.
On hopped up motors that run headers,I usually take the car to an exhaust shop to mate up the collectors to the exhaust. TTi makes a system that runs headers.
The TTi has all the hangers and clamps and brackets included.
The headers you mentined are intended to fit A bodies.
There is a member here that did put them on a C but I am wondering what modifications if any were needed to fit the big C
Cheers

If you order headers from TTI everything should bolt up nicely and all of the mounting brackets needed should come with their kit. If you get headers from someone else, TTI's header back exhaust kits may or may not match up. You may have to drill new holes to get the collector flanges and exhaust pipe flanges to match up but if the exhaust pipes are too long, too short or don't match up you will need to have an exhaust shop do some modifications. Talk to TTI and see if they are familiar with the Sanderson headers.

Off topic, I prefer exhaust manifolds vs. headers and your car looks exactly like mine did before it got painted. Same color. I just need to get mine put back together.

Are you swapping in a big block?

What motor are you running? 318? 383?
Stock? Mild? Modified?
If stock dont bother with headers. TTi makes a system that bolts directly to stock manifolds and you can hang the exhaust yourself.
On hopped up motors that run headers,I usually take the car to an exhaust shop to mate up the collectors to the exhaust. TTi makes a system that runs headers.
The TTi has all the hangers and clamps and brackets included.
The headers you mentined are intended to fit A bodies.
There is a member here that did put them on a C but I am wondering what modifications if any were needed to fit the big C
Cheers
318, Holley 2 barrel, stock right now. I plan on putting in an intake, 4bbl carb, mild cam and possibly a set of Edelbrock RPM heads. I plan on contacting TTI to discuss with them what you suggest.

Regarding the A body headers that were put on a C body, he bolted them right in with no mods.

Regarding headers / stock manifolds trade, I will make that trade prior to pulling the trigger on an exhaust system.

Thanks!

318, Holley 2 barrel, stock right now. I plan on putting in an intake, 4bbl carb, mild cam and possibly a set of Edelbrock RPM heads. I plan on contacting TTI to discuss with them what you suggest.

Regarding the A body headers that were put on a C body, he bolted them right in with no mods.

Regarding headers / stock manifolds trade, I will make that trade prior to pulling the trigger on an exhaust system.

Thanks!
For the cam choice I recommend this Summit cam for a big heavy car.
I have it in my 73 Satellite wagon. Great low-mid range torque,pulls great!
Summit Racing® Classic Cam and Lifter Kits SUM-K6900
Run 340 valve springs. Port matching the intake and gaskets to the heads makes a huge difference.
Go with Percy or Pro-form multilayer exhaust gaskets.
Tough as nails,re-usable and never leak,works with both logs and headers.

Back