Factory 4-Speed-C-Body-Photo-Thread

1965 Sport Fury cv. 383 2bbl 4-Speed

For sale on Hemmings for $32.500

91263707.jpg

91263731.jpg

91263733.jpg

91263723.jpg

91263716.jpg

I personally have known of 2 ‘65 Fury’s with 4 speeds . 1 383 and 1 426 car . I can believe they made 8000. People weren’t all sold on Automatics in the early 60s.

I personally have known of 2 ‘65 Fury’s with 4 speeds . 1 383 and 1 426 car . I can believe they made 8000. People weren’t all sold on Automatics in the early 60s.
I've only seen two '66 full size Dodges with four speeds, a Polara 500, and my Monaco. We know of @Ross Wooldridge's car. Other than those, I've only seen a handful in old ads, maybe five of them. I've heard 730/780 for US production, and the mythical 38 for Canadian production. No matter what, in survival numbers, they are few and far between. Four speeds weren't as popular in the big cars.

Hello everyone,
I just finished looking at the 109 pages of this thread, 11 years :).
I've observed that closely followed by the L-Codes, the Slab Sides with a factory 4-speed tranny are supposedly the most popular and of course very rare shoeboxes.
That's why I think the idea of opening a thread showing C-Bodies that are credibly equipped with such a gearbox from the factory is a good one. So I would be happy if everyone posts his or her other Factory 4-Speed C-Body here.
About production numbers I found out that John Lee (Standart Catalog of Chrysler 1924-1990) said they made:

1965: 2,6% of all Plymouth Furys left the factory with a 4-Speed-Transmission (8.577 examples)
1966: 1,6% of all Plymouth Furys left the factory with a 4-Speed-Transmission (5.288 examples)
1967: unknown
1968: 0,2% of all Plymouth Furys left the factory with a 4-Speed-Transmission (699 examples)

Let's start with a rare Dodge Station that I found many years ago in the internet:

View attachment 562088

View attachment 562089
You need to remember that those numbers cited are the number of cars SOLD in the US and NOT the number built!!

This is not a original 4 speed car
Canada built 66 polara 880.
Was poly automatic
I did the swap to 440 4 speed.
Bench seat and white ball hurst shifter.
Original paint except for a repair front of drivers fender.
Oh yea upgraded to the power brake pedal

View attachment 562366
When you upgraded the engine, did you also change the torsion bars? Big block cars got bigger t-bars than small block cars.

Because this car is Canadian it is not part of the numbers in the Standard Catalog of Chrysler. Also keep in mind that all of "Standard"books were done in a hurry and are most likely riddled with mistakes.
I have never held any number to be accurate, just stated what I have heard. Whatever the real numbers may be, a four speed C body seems pretty uncommon no matter how you slice it.

When you upgraded the engine, did you also change the torsion bars? Big block cars got bigger t-bars than small block cars.
Yes. I did, mainly because 1 of the original was twisted off.
The car had a poly and they arnt a lot lighter than a 440. If I was doing it again I would investigate the exact weights and possibly use the poly bars.

Hello everyone,
I just finished looking at the 109 pages of this thread, 11 years :).
I've observed that closely followed by the L-Codes, the Slab Sides with a factory 4-speed tranny are supposedly the most popular and of course very rare shoeboxes.
That's why I think the idea of opening a thread showing C-Bodies that are credibly equipped with such a gearbox from the factory is a good one. So I would be happy if everyone posts his or her other Factory 4-Speed C-Body here.
About production numbers I found out that John Lee (Standart Catalog of Chrysler 1924-1990) said they made:

1965: 2,6% of all Plymouth Furys left the factory with a 4-Speed-Transmission (8.577 examples)
1966: 1,6% of all Plymouth Furys left the factory with a 4-Speed-Transmission (5.288 examples)
1967: unknown
1968: 0,2% of all Plymouth Furys left the factory with a 4-Speed-Transmission (699 examples)

Let's start with a rare Dodge Station that I found many years ago in the internet:

View attachment 562088

View attachment 562089
Found this link today with more informations:

Was looking at some of my old resto pics & thought these were interesting. The trans cutouts on my '67 were much neater than earlier mopars, at least the A & B models which were a bit of a hack job.

fierwall painted 1.jpg
underbody painted front.jpg

A friend of mine had a Canadian 65 Monaco 413 4spd new.

A guy I knew in Saskatchewan had a 65 Monaco convertible 413 4spd new. It got totaled by the second owner.

I saw another 65 Monaco 413 4spd rag on a lot in Regina 40+ years ago.

Kevin

Back