Factory 4-Speed-C-Body-Photo-Thread

The car that started me down the C body rabbit hole.
o_8b9c1c8868445a8ca2daeef848fadbc3.jpg
o_1a71b8be135d6bd4fd9b476fd8ccdfc0.jpg

An old acquaintance:

00i0i_gdmv4ul4srw_1200x900-jpg.jpg

Rare 1967 H-Code Sport Fury Fastop 383 4spd! - $13500 (se ma)

This is not your everyday Sport Fury. This was registered and driven by me 2011? maybe? and has been in dry storage since. Could easily be a driver right now, but, deserves to be treated to a full restoration at some point and shown! I can promise you, there won't be another one like this at ANY car show / cruise night you may go to.
I went to the 2017 Chrysler Nationals and not one even close to this one, none had buckets with floor console (and forget about a factory tach like this one has), none were factory black on black, and absolutely NO factory 4-speed's anywhere in the whole show!
After doing some research on production numbers what I have found is that they only produced 799 4 speed Fury's for the whole 1967 model year, and that includes Fury I, II, III, hardtops, fastops, rag tops and includes 4 doors as well in total! After talking to a few top notch Mopar guru's I found out that this is a very special Sport Fury and probably 1 of only 3 or 4 like it ever built! Unfortunately there is no further breakdown of just how many Sport Fury Fastops with the 383 Super Commando and 4 speed were built, but out of the thousands built for the whole model line, this could actually be the only one? Hopefully, more documentation surfaces at some point to finally get a production figure per body style.

Please read the entire write up on it, I know it's a little lengthy, but the car and you deserve the best description up front that I can provide, and if there is anything you would need to know in addition, or other pics, please let me know.

HISTORY / DOCUMENTATION:

I have excellent paperwork on this rare Mopar. Car comes complete with its orig. FENDER TAG, BUILDSHEET, CERTI-CARD, plus some documentation from previous owners from the New Jersey area. It was ordered brand new from New Jersey with a Certi-Card date of May 19, 1967 Lyndhurst, New Jersey and was always in the same area until the late 80's until it traveled to Rhode Island /Massachusetts where it currently resides. One of the last owners before it came to MA was in late 87 early 88 timeframe. I also have some detailed service records from the New Jersey owners as well. This car was ordered as all business! No power steering or brakes or any other power options to speak of! Just the 383 Super Commando 4 bbl engine, rare 4 speed stick, floor console, buckets, swivel tach, 3:23 posi, dual exhaust, black on black with Magnum 500's and redline tires! A real beautiful car!

BODY:

starting front to back, nose is real clean, pass fender had a tap at some point, the dent was pulled but never resurfaced, so its still the original color and metal, no patches or repairs. Hood is solid and original to the car, radiator support is excellent, solid, original driver condition, un-restored. Lower fenders just starting to need a little attention. Cowl / windshield filler panel is excellent as well.
Both doors are in very nice solid condition, still has the VIN tag where its supposed to be, door jambs are excellent and the doors close like it's a new car. Roof area and sweeps down the sides are excellent on this rare Fastop body style. Rear quarters were done long ago and are fine for cruising around town, but if you want this to be a Barrett-Jackson caliber car, the quarters need restoring. The trunk lid is original needs resto. Trunk pan has a couple of small holes, as does the rear floor pan, but for a car 46 years old, still very good condition. Frame rails are also in very nice condition and solid.

INTERIOR:

Starting from the front, dash pad was sun beat and cracked so I removed it and found that the metal dash is in excellent shape and almost new underneath where the pad sat. Sun visors are nice originals. Headliner needs replacement, but all the metal rods are present to be reused. All the gauges work, but would need a good cleaning since the car has never been taken apart nor messed with (which is how you want to find a car like this). This interior has never been restored, so after all this time, it is needing new padding and covers, but the metal frames for the buckets are perfect, and the rear seat frames were taken apart cleaned and painted with Eastwood metal treatment and are ready for new padding and covers. Front seats are still original and haven't yet been disassembled. All door panels and rear side panels are original and show very minor wear. (they are still too nice to replace) and they are the factory pieces not repros so they're worth keeping. Rug needs to be replaced. Super rare 4 speed center console needs restoring but is complete and comes with the extremely hard to find swivel tach! Original steering wheel is nice, not perfect, but I didn't see the need to replace it. One cool feature of the Fastop body style that no other Mopar has, is the Flow-Thru Ventilation system! The rear package tray on this car is perforated and when the steering column vents are pulled, fresh air flows from front to the back of the car pulling any smoke or stale air out the rear package tray through the perforations and out the bottom of the car! Real cool and all original and untouched from the factory! And of course, the rear package tray is in excellent undamaged condition, probably not an easy item to find or replace.

ENGINE / DRIVE TRAIN:

All original matching numbers 383 Super Commando 4 bbl engine, rare 4 speed stick (factory orig. Inland shifter still in place), 3:23 posi, dual exhaust! Sounds like a Muscle car to me! I don't believe this drivetrain has ever been rebuilt or even out of the car, as I have gone over it front to back and if it ever was removed, I can't find any evidence of it as all the factory clips and fasteners are still there with none missing. Looks to still retain its factory radiator as well. This car still has left handed wheel lugs for both the drivers side front and rear wheels! That's not something you run into anymore. I believe auto makers stopped using this practice in 68 when they just went with regular wheel lugs all the way around. This Sport Fury also comes with its original magnum 500's which have a chrome wheel lip not trim rings, but the wheels on it now are from a 68 which do have trim rings, both sets go with the car. This car runs and drives effortlessly, smooth on highways and easy around town. Since it was not ordered with power steering, it has the factory modified steering box which is actually easier to steer than most non power steering cars.

Any four speed C body is a low production item, and any surviving four speed C body is a rarity.

An old acquaintance:

View attachment 571427

Rare 1967 H-Code Sport Fury Fastop 383 4spd! - $13500 (se ma)

This is not your everyday Sport Fury. This was registered and driven by me 2011? maybe? and has been in dry storage since. Could easily be a driver right now, but, deserves to be treated to a full restoration at some point and shown! I can promise you, there won't be another one like this at ANY car show / cruise night you may go to.

I went to the 2017 Chrysler Nationals and not one even close to this one, none had buckets with floor console (and forget about a factory tach like this one has), none were factory black on black, and absolutely NO factory 4-speed's anywhere in the whole show!
After doing some research on production numbers what I have found is that they only produced 799 4 speed Fury's for the whole 1967 model year, and that includes Fury I, II, III, hardtops, fastops, rag tops and includes 4 doors as well in total! After talking to a few top notch Mopar guru's I found out that this is a very special Sport Fury and probably 1 of only 3 or 4 like it ever built! Unfortunately there is no further breakdown of just how many Sport Fury Fastops with the 383 Super Commando and 4 speed were built, but out of the thousands built for the whole model line, this could actually be the only one? Hopefully, more documentation surfaces at some point to finally get a production figure per body style.

Please read the entire write up on it, I know it's a little lengthy, but the car and you deserve the best description up front that I can provide, and if there is anything you would need to know in addition, or other pics, please let me know.

HISTORY / DOCUMENTATION:

I have excellent paperwork on this rare Mopar. Car comes complete with its orig. FENDER TAG, BUILDSHEET, CERTI-CARD, plus some documentation from previous owners from the New Jersey area. It was ordered brand new from New Jersey with a Certi-Card date of May 19, 1967 Lyndhurst, New Jersey and was always in the same area until the late 80's until it traveled to Rhode Island /Massachusetts where it currently resides. One of the last owners before it came to MA was in late 87 early 88 timeframe. I also have some detailed service records from the New Jersey owners as well. This car was ordered as all business! No power steering or brakes or any other power options to speak of! Just the 383 Super Commando 4 bbl engine, rare 4 speed stick, floor console, buckets, swivel tach, 3:23 posi, dual exhaust, black on black with Magnum 500's and redline tires! A real beautiful car!

BODY:

starting front to back, nose is real clean, pass fender had a tap at some point, the dent was pulled but never resurfaced, so its still the original color and metal, no patches or repairs. Hood is solid and original to the car, radiator support is excellent, solid, original driver condition, un-restored. Lower fenders just starting to need a little attention. Cowl / windshield filler panel is excellent as well.
Both doors are in very nice solid condition, still has the VIN tag where its supposed to be, door jambs are excellent and the doors close like it's a new car. Roof area and sweeps down the sides are excellent on this rare Fastop body style. Rear quarters were done long ago and are fine for cruising around town, but if you want this to be a Barrett-Jackson caliber car, the quarters need restoring. The trunk lid is original needs resto. Trunk pan has a couple of small holes, as does the rear floor pan, but for a car 46 years old, still very good condition. Frame rails are also in very nice condition and solid.

INTERIOR:

Starting from the front, dash pad was sun beat and cracked so I removed it and found that the metal dash is in excellent shape and almost new underneath where the pad sat. Sun visors are nice originals. Headliner needs replacement, but all the metal rods are present to be reused. All the gauges work, but would need a good cleaning since the car has never been taken apart nor messed with (which is how you want to find a car like this). This interior has never been restored, so after all this time, it is needing new padding and covers, but the metal frames for the buckets are perfect, and the rear seat frames were taken apart cleaned and painted with Eastwood metal treatment and are ready for new padding and covers. Front seats are still original and haven't yet been disassembled. All door panels and rear side panels are original and show very minor wear. (they are still too nice to replace) and they are the factory pieces not repros so they're worth keeping. Rug needs to be replaced. Super rare 4 speed center console needs restoring but is complete and comes with the extremely hard to find swivel tach! Original steering wheel is nice, not perfect, but I didn't see the need to replace it. One cool feature of the Fastop body style that no other Mopar has, is the Flow-Thru Ventilation system! The rear package tray on this car is perforated and when the steering column vents are pulled, fresh air flows from front to the back of the car pulling any smoke or stale air out the rear package tray through the perforations and out the bottom of the car! Real cool and all original and untouched from the factory! And of course, the rear package tray is in excellent undamaged condition, probably not an easy item to find or replace.

ENGINE / DRIVE TRAIN:

All original matching numbers 383 Super Commando 4 bbl engine, rare 4 speed stick (factory orig. Inland shifter still in place), 3:23 posi, dual exhaust! Sounds like a Muscle car to me! I don't believe this drivetrain has ever been rebuilt or even out of the car, as I have gone over it front to back and if it ever was removed, I can't find any evidence of it as all the factory clips and fasteners are still there with none missing. Looks to still retain its factory radiator as well. This car still has left handed wheel lugs for both the drivers side front and rear wheels! That's not something you run into anymore. I believe auto makers stopped using this practice in 68 when they just went with regular wheel lugs all the way around. This Sport Fury also comes with its original magnum 500's which have a chrome wheel lip not trim rings, but the wheels on it now are from a 68 which do have trim rings, both sets go with the car. This car runs and drives effortlessly, smooth on highways and easy around town. Since it was not ordered with power steering, it has the factory modified steering box which is actually easier to steer than most non power steering cars.
After talking to a few top notch Mopar guru's I found out that this is a very special Sport Fury and probably 1 of only 3 or 4 like it ever built.

Any info on what makes this one 1 of 3

After talking to a few top notch Mopar guru's I found out that this is a very special Sport Fury and probably 1 of only 3 or 4 like it ever built.

Rare is the combination of triple black with the 4-Speed..together with the 383 HP and limited slip.
It's hard to find a triple black Plymouth or Dodge C-Body slab-side at all..

Those 'gurus' should've told you that?

Rare is the combination of triple black with the 4-Speed..together with the 383 HP and limited slip.
It's hard to find a triple black Plymouth or Dodge C-Body slab-side at all..
Is it triple-black if it doesn't have a black VT?

Regardless, black interior isn't terribly rare, so it's really just the pairing with black exterior. (as Dick Landy said)

But IMHO, even if it is 1 of 3/4 built, it's not really all that special.
440, or silver/red or some other 'interesting' color combo, would make it more 'special', regardless of how many were built.
This one doesn't really 'pop' with eye appeal - and certainly not with all the flash-rust it has.

Makes sense, but I was also going by the fact that it has no trim at the base of the roof, which it would have if the top was a different color (whether vinyl or painted).
I'm not being argumentative, merely explaining my thought-train.

Regardless, that particular car is likely to stay unsold, in that condition, until the price drops *a lot*.
In which case some dealer-flipper will pop it right back out at a high price.
Lather-rinse-repeat, and the car never gets restored.

And here is about the rarest one possible.
Fury VIP, fasttop, 440, 4-speed - and AC.
I've known of this car for ~25 years (perhaps thru the Yahoo C-body site?) and had some emailings with the owner back then, and he had all documentation for his car, it's legitimate.

Per thread below, car was awaiting a restoration to make it even better, but owner hasn't logged in since the thread.

For Sale - 1968 Plymouth VIP. 440 with 4 speed and A/C

EDIT - it was not for sale, that was a misnomer from a FB page.

1672788422691.png

That is such a cool car. @tpuig is not active any more? He hasn't been seen here since 2019, and I'd love to know what's happening with his car and his post-divorce life - new shop etc.

I would love to know what the factory did with the belts on the compressor to avoid the known issue of belt tossing with manual transmission.

That is such a cool car. @tpuig is not active any more? He hasn't been seen here since 2019, and I'd love to know what's happening with his car and his post-divorce life - new shop etc.

I would love to know what the factory did with the belts on the compressor to avoid the known issue of belt tossing with manual transmission.
I checked and no postings from him since that thread on his car. He posted the car on FB somewhere and Stan posted it here, and Tony joined here about 6 mos after that.
He mentioned building the shop off-grid. Don't know if that meant him, or just his facilities.

As for belt-tossing:
From an engineering perspective, some things aren't buildable on the assy line (requires engineering intervention), but some things aren't recommended/permitted (and might slip through).
AC was certainly buildable into the vehicle and likely common on a VIP, so I'd bet that someone with influence, at some level, made the build paperwork happen. Probably required a few folks to pass it through.
As for actually keeping the belts on, I'd always presumed it was an issue with missed shifts - so probably up to the driver?

Back