Factory 4-Speed-C-Body-Photo-Thread

68 sport fury convertible - h code 383 - 4 speed. 1/40 according to some records

View attachment 562159

View attachment 562160

View attachment 562161

View attachment 562162

Maybe the same car?

45146853gp.jpg

45146854sf.jpg

Sorry, that one's already been posted. :lol:

But I see you are new - did you recently buy this car?

I saw it on FB maybe 2 mos ago. And I think about 25 years ago.
Yes, I just got it. I saw your post about car. Trying to run down a little history on the car. So maybe I can find out if it's the same car you saw back in the 90s. I think it probably is.

Yes, I just got it. I saw your post about car. Trying to run down a little history on the car. So maybe I can find out if it's the same car you saw back in the 90s. I think it probably is.
I just made an edit above that I posted your car in post #50 on page 3.

I posted your car in the FS section when I first saw it, and compared whether I thought it was the same car from years ago, it's here:
NOT MINE - 67 Sport Fury fasttop, 440 4-speed, gold-black, 53k miles, $18,000 Michigan

I have some 4x6 photos from years ago, I believe they are in that thread.

As the days/weeks pass, this thread stays in a far corner of my mind.
Which means when I'm in this thread, adding a car, another one pops in my head - and I vow to add that one at some point.
Today's the day for this one, a car I've admired for years as it is a near-twin to mine (other than the customary 'except for a,b,c,x,y,z').
I happened across it in a thread at the bottom of the page, for a car we've already posted, so that was my cue.

I had seen this car for sale on ebay in 2012 (Texas) and then in 2016 (Kansas). I don't know where/when it finally sold into the current owner's hands (but that doesn't matter).
For convenience, here's a copy of Joe's story on teh car (it's a good one!) and below is a more-sunlight pic that shows the beauty of that Medium Red Poly (pic is from one of the ebay listings).

So today, @Ram Fury, is your day for the place of honor in the 4-speed thread.

From For Sale - 65 Fury 426w-4 spd
1676829748921.png

1676829848464.jpeg

Fury Fan --
Thanks for the compliment. In 2016, I was fortunate to buy "Big Red" from a lady in Wichita KS who was closing out her late father's estate. It really wasn't in too bad shape, but I had the trans rebuilt (parts were rather hard to come by here in Colorado Springs), replaced some of the chrome trim with proper SF trim, put the proper "Commando 426" decal on the air cleaner, and replaced the damaged valve covers which somehow got stuck with "426 Super Stock" decals; these may have been put on when the original cam, while not exactly mild, was replaced with a bit more wicked one. The present cam is very, VERY rough idling when cold (like about 2000-2400 RPM), but will settle down (somewhat) when the engine is at a normal operating temp to about a 1400 RPM idle. If my memory serves me right, that '65 SF I had back in '64-'67 idled at about 750 or so even cold, but I'm not about to change it as I love that lope. It also lost its viscous drive for its fan (those things usually took the deep six after a while) and I may get a Mancini replacement just for appearances sake though it's hardly necessary.
My wife and I enjoy the car very much and though we don't abuse it like we did the first SF, I have no compunction on "blowing the cobbs out" every now and then as it is easily pegged. Nor do I back away from an occasional challenge at a stop light and in fact, after one such confrontation, a Beamer guy followed me into a cruise-in just to tell me he didn't expect "that big old car to be that quick." It's a great car.
Joe

Anyone have any information on this one? Does anyone here own this?
This could be my next project.
It’s the right year, it’s a Polara, it’s a convertible, and a 4speed, and a nice color. And my wife thinks we should have a convertible.
I would have to put the redline tires back on.

Last edited:
Anyone have any information on this one? Does anyone here own this?
This could be my next project.
It’s the right year, it’s a Polara, it’s a convertible, and a 4speed, and a nice color. And my wife thinks we should have a convertible.
I would have to put the redline tires back on.
..and it's a L-Code!!!

The cv. was repeatedly offered in FL for several years. Over the years you could see that the car was getting worse and worse due to the climate. The polara was a little higher than what was fair valued at the time. I haven't heard it was even sold.

..and it's a L-Code!!!

The cv. was repeatedly offered in FL for several years. Over the years you could see that the car was getting worse and worse due to the climate. The polara was a little higher than what was fair valued at the time. I haven't heard it was even sold.
Thanks, I haven't officially started looking for another project but this caught my eye.
I did see in the picture which looked like rust bubbling at the bottom of the doors.
I know what I put into my base Polara and I cringe thinking about this one, but Hobbies aren't free and would likely keep me out of trouble. (Until it was finished anyway)

Thanks, I haven't officially started looking for another project but this caught my eye.
I did see in the picture which looked like rust bubbling at the bottom of the doors.
I know what I put into my base Polara and I cringe thinking about this one, but Hobbies aren't free and would likely keep me out of trouble. (Until it was finished anyway)
A friend of mine bought a Plymouth from the same guy about 12 years ago when the L-code was also offered. If you want, I could do some research to get a name or number of the guy..

That's the first '66 Polara four speed car I got to see in person, saw it at Carlisle in 2020. I had secured my car by then, but hadn't seen one in the flesh. I wanted to get in line for the car if it should become available, but the owner's niece apparently has claimed it already.
I've been looking for a 66 Polara convertible myself. Doesn't need to be a 4 speed though. But even 66 automatic verts aren't all that easy to find at a reasonable price.

I've been looking for a 66 Polara convertible myself. Doesn't need to be a 4 speed though. But even 66 automatic verts aren't all that easy to find at a reasonable price.
Asking prices are getting up there, I'm not sure what they've been selling for though. A four speed '66 convertible is a grain of sand in the largest dune, that would be a keeper.

Back