factory build numbers

retread49

Reaction score
how many 1968 Chrysler Newport 2dr hardtop with 3 speed manual colum shift transmission were manufactured ? where would I find that info ?

I don’t know if they kept detailed records by option, but I would imagine less than 10% of production.
total Chrysler for 1968 was 264,863
Newport Custom coupe CL23 was 10,341
Newport coupe CE 23 was 36,768

Any chance it might be blue, Saw one in Kenosha some years back. The guys Mother bought the car out of Chicago. It had substantial rust rear window area

We have one. But unfortunately someone removed the 3-speed and installed a 4 on the floor. Ours is a forest green color.

how many 1968 Chrysler Newport 2dr hardtop with 3 speed manual colum shift transmission were manufactured ? where would I find that info ?
It's funny I was asking that same question about a week with some friends I have

I have the same one except mine is a 3 speed automatic column shift

I believe that unlike GM, Chrysler only kept track of percentages of cars with certain options, at that time. Seems like "The Standard Book of Chrysler" has some of those numbers, but in a non-consistent fashion, IIRC.

Considering how Chryslers were being promoted as affordable upscale vehicles back then, plus their "Free Automatic Transmission" promotions, IF a Chrysler dealer had a manual transmission car of ANY type on the lot back then, it was either: a special order, ordered in order to advertise a "From ______" price (lower than normal price), a mis-ordered car, or a Sales Bank car they bought way back of its actual cost. Even the 10% level is probably very optimistic, I suspect. But Plymouths would be a different situation, by comparison.

In those earlier times, option installation rates were not really worried about, just that you didn't normally see some things. Dealers kept vehicles that would sell easily and quickly, not something they would have to pay floorplan money on after the grace period ended. Or HAVE to sell at or barely above dealer cost just to get it sold. Just plain dollars and sense, especially for the smaller dealers.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

If the car was built for sale in the US, that number would likely be found in the factory Options and Accessories report. IF a copy exists and is accessible, that would give you the answer. I'm not aware that one has ever been published but there may be one in private hands that surfaces sometime.

Other than relying on data from factory documents...it's guessing.

as @69CoronetRT said, you would need to see the 68 Chrysler SG30, also known as the Option and Accessory Sales report.
these were generated by the accounting department at year end after model year production ended and are the exact #s of options and accessory installed ( sold ) thus giving the real production #s.
they were done for US and Canadian production separately.
they would actually stop counting cars on a certain date even though cars were still being produced after that, and give these numbers out at the end of the model year.
but the SG30s tell the true story.
i believe before 1966 the reports had a different name but its my understanding from 66 on they were know as the option & accessory report.
none have been published so far.
chrysler historical does not have these reports as the corporation would purge their accounting records periodically over the years.

In 1969 I was working at the dealer in Langhorne, Pa, Davenport's. One day a lady walked in and she wanted to order a stripo '70 Newport. Stick, manual steering and brakes and no A/C. Mrs. Davenport told her the last Chrysler they sold with manual steering was 1959! I E-Mailed Chrysler historical about the '52 Imperial hardtop I used to have. It had a Highlander interior which was not an Imperial option. Interior code was 99. I was told that Chrysler didn't keep track of how many cars had various options. If the '52 wasn't one of one it probably was one of less than 10!
I always liked standard trans C Bodies. One of my regrets is not buying the '65 Sport Fury convertible 383 4 speed car in 1972!

I'd say it was exceedingly rare. I don't recall ever seeing one behind a 383 in a Chrysler. I had a '66 Fury 1 with that combo once, and a '69 Fury 225 that had a three-on-the-tree. I don't recall ever seeing a B-body with that combo either. Even though it may be rare, I doubt it has much in the way of extra value, in fact, I would think it would be worth less to most people wanting a C-body.

If the car was built for sale in the US, that number would likely be found in the factory Options and Accessories report. IF a copy exists and is accessible, that would give you the answer. I'm not aware that one has ever been published but there may be one in private hands that surfaces sometime.

Other than relying on data from factory documents...it's guessing.
Wards...

In my 71 years as a Mopar wacko, they brought me home from the hospital in a '47 Dodge with Fluid Drive, I have seen 3 Second Gen chargers with 225s and column shift! I even drove one. It was surprisingly nimble!

Back