Fan Shrouds

Nubsy1

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Chrysler 300 'Vert that does not have a fan shroud on it. I would like to install one, but the problem is that the fan itself is only 1/4" away from the upper radiator hose. I do not see how a shroud will fit in between, especially a stock plastic type.

Here is the back story. Along the way the original 440 was replaced with a 383 of the same vintage. I have now replaced the motor and gone back to a 440. Non AC car running what I am assuming is the stock fan w/ fan clutch. It does not overheat, even if left idling for long periods of time (parade type use). I would just like a shroud more for safety than anything.

Been reading about different size fans and the like. Will I need to install a smaller fan to clear the shroud? Does anyone know what size would have been stock? Measuring across the fan blades it is roughly 22". Did the car originally have a shroud on it?

I have a 1967 Chrysler 300 'Vert that does not have a fan shroud on it. I would like to install one, but the problem is that the fan itself is only 1/4" away from the upper radiator hose. I do not see how a shroud will fit in between, especially a stock plastic type.

Here is the back story. Along the way the original 440 was replaced with a 383 of the same vintage. I have now replaced the motor and gone back to a 440. Non AC car running what I am assuming is the stock fan w/ fan clutch. It does not overheat, even if left idling for long periods of time (parade type use). I would just like a shroud more for safety than anything.

Been reading about different size fans and the like. Will I need to install a smaller fan to clear the shroud? Does anyone know what size would have been stock? Measuring across the fan blades it is roughly 22". Did the car originally have a shroud on it?

An non A/C '67 300 without A/C may not have had a factory shroud if it came from the factory with a 22" radiator. If your car is a 22" radiator fan the correct shroud to use would be the steel 2-piece shroud.

As noted above, photos would be very helpful. It is possible that your car may not have the correct upper radiator hose or even the correct thermostat housing, either of which could cause reduced clearance. Right now, I can't get measurements from my own car for comparison.

My 67 drop top has a 26 inch shroud with no clearance issues. Maybe your fan is not correct? My car is not at my house, so cannot check the width of the blades. CG

Most likely, your car did not have a fan shroud. I can't be 100%, but generally speaking, unless the car had A/C or some sort of HD cooling package, there was no shroud.

It also sounds like the fan is too big in diameter. A non-clutch fan should be 18" in diameter and a clutch fan (used with A/C) would be 18 1/2".

If it were me, I'd replace that fan with a clutch fan. They don't hurt quite as bad, but still just keep your hands out of the fan.

You car didn’t come with a 22” clutch fan or a shroud with no A/C

I have a 21 inch 7 blade clutch fan that came out of a truck. I think all fans over 18.5" were so intended. When I purchased my first fan shroud, meant for a '65 Imperial, I had to reduce fan diameter to 18" (DeRale 17118) which I still use. The original fixed 6 blade fan cooled the engine very nicely without any shroud, but loaded the drive train down quite a lot regardless of temperature. If you don't mind that, then such a brute force approach will save your engine from overheating. I opted for a more flexible range of options, ad plan to further refine my cooling system as budget and weather permit. My IDEAL cooling system would be ALL ELECTRIC, with fans and pump driven by a large alternator and battery, with controls allowing 3 or 4 cooling system states.

Back